Chapter 50

The next day, I spend most of the afternoon showering and doing my makeup and hair, and when I emerge downstairs, Jake is sitting on the lounge in his suit

The next day, I spend most of the afternoon showering and doing my makeup and hair, and when I emerge downstairs, Jake is sitting on the lounge in his suit. He stands when I appear, his hair and eyes striking against the navy blue, and I can't help but smile as he comes forward and gives me a hug.

"I'm sorry about yesterday," he mumbles. "You look really nice."

His words warm me, but they're nothing compared to the inferno that spreads when Lewis arrives. He gets to our house early, his dress shirt rolled to his elbows and the top button undone, and I'm pretty sure if Jake hadn't been there, my hair and makeup would have met their demise instantly. But sadly, he is. So, Lewis and I spent the ride to the school sharing sideways glances and stolen touches.

I'm completely absorbed by him until I open the car door, and then the excitement in the air hits me like an eighteen-wheeler.

Hundreds of students linger around the entrance of the school hall, mingling and making their way inside. Everyone is smiling, their clothes shining in the setting sun, and I grin at the mass of people with a delight school events rarely warrant.

"Are you ready to go in?"

Lewis's voice is warm in my ear, and I glance up at him as the sun catches his eyes, highlighting the golden flecks in his irises.

"Sure. Have I ever mentioned how gorgeous your eyes are?"

Lewis grins and slips an arm around my waist.

"No, you haven't, and I'd give you a compliment back, but anything I say right now will probably make me sound like Harper, and I can't put you through that."

My cheeks flush and I smirk up at him.

"So I look good?"

Lewis leans down, his word tickling my ear and sliding up my spine.

"Yes, Claude. You look really good."

He pulls back and the glint in his eyes snags at my insides and jerks tight.

I'm only just recovering when Emmy and Aleisha run up to us, Harper following behind. Emmy and Aleisha squeal and hug me while the boys give each other strange nods of greeting, and then we walk in together.

Emmy goes straight to the bathroom to pull her flasks out of her bra, Harper goes to the refreshment station to get drinks, and the rest of us find a table. Aleisha zeros in on one right in the middle and we sit down, drinking our spiked coca-colas and chatting for the half hour it takes everyone to arrive and Principal Humphrey to give a quick speech and hand out the awards.

Even though I know it's coming, I still flush when she reads my name out for the Outstanding Improvement Award, and I walk up to receive my laminated piece of paper amongst a roar of laughter and claps.

Harper yells out something inappropriate, another guy cat calls me, and then I'm back at our table and Principal Humphrey is signing off, the music pumping up to full volume.

"Come on, let's dance," Emmy says, grabbing Harper's hand and hauling him onto the dance floor. He sighs, but follows and Lewis raises an eyebrow at me.

I know he's wondering if I want to dance too, but I don't reply straight away. Instead, I turn to Jake.

He's been quiet tonight, watching the festivities with a strange expression. He's still talking and laughing, but when no one else is watching, I can see something else below the surface that's making him disconnect.

"Do you wanna come dance, Jake?" I ask and he looks over at me, eyes hooded.

"No, I'm alright. You go have fun."

His words make my heart clench and I dip my head down, forcing him to meet my gaze again.

"What's wrong?" I ask quietly. "Do you want to leave?"

Something flickers in his eyes, but it's gone before I can identify it.

"No, of course not. You go dance. I think I just need some fresh air or something."

I'm staring at him, wondering what to do, but then Aleisha comes over.

"I'll come outside with you, Jake," she says. "It's getting a bit hot in here for me too."

Jake nods, but he avoids her gaze, and I glance up at Aleisha. I can tell from her expression that she's realised something's wrong, and I feel a spasm of guilt and gratitude that she's willing to take this bullet for me.

Are you sure? I mouth.

Aleisha gives me a reassuring smile, and she grabs Jake's arm, dragging him out the back door to the courtyard, lit with fairy lights. I watch them go, my stomach churning. I know I should follow them, that I should go out there and help Aleisha talk Jake through whatever's bothering him.

But I don't want to.

Tonight I just want to be a normal teenager. I want to dance with the boy I like and drink banned alcohol and feel weightless. And the fact that Jake didn't want that too made me frustrated. Much more than it should.

"Claude?"

My eyes refocus and I find Lewis crouched in front of me, his gaze sympathetic.

"Do you want to go out there and check on him?"

I swallow hard.

Jake was with Aleisha, and she'd take care of him. I knew she would.

"No," I say, grabbing Lewis's hand. "I want to dance."

And for the first time since the fire, when Jake's been in pain, I move away from him rather than toward. 

...

Remember to vote, comment or add the story to your reading list if you're enjoying it!

Next chapter out on Tuesday :)

- Skylar xx