09 | dinnertime rivalry.

JANNAT'S P.O.V

     THERE WERE THREE ESSENTIALS in my life — good fashion, good tea, and good company. Right now, I was half deprived of my essentials — Sinclair was ruining the good company part, I had no cup of tea in my hands, and I had walked in on Sinclair encouraging the not-so-flattering outfit that Lucas was sporting.

"Agatha, you didn't need to do all this," I said, giving that woman a grateful smile.

"I did, though," She said quietly, her face blooming with a smile. "I cooked all the things that remind me of home, and I hope it will tell you the story too."

"My mum is an artist, she is just inquisitive in nature," Sinclair cut in, taking a sip of his water.

I ignored him. "But Agatha, I didn't want to impose! You have done so much!" I held up a board of Greek appetizers, including fresh tzatziki sauce and homemade spanakotiropita, to prove my point.

She grinned at me in response. "I ate this a lot when I was in Greek. I simply loved it - and also found that the simple but alluring taste really inspired me to create more. Thought it would help a fellow artist, like you."

"You're far too kind," Dad interjected. "This is lovely."

I stole a glance at Baba to find him engrossed in an animated chat with Lucas, who had, thank heavens, lost the jersey. I took in his sight for a moment, relishing the way the grey shirt clinged to his taut muscles before Sinclair's irritating voice rang in my head space again.

"Walter," He crooned, his eyes glistening. I didn't like it. "Pass me the souvlakia, will ya?"

I gritted my teeth at the mock in his tone but plastered a smile on my face nonetheless, passing the skewer to him. "Here."

"So, Jannat," Agatha started speaking up, beaming at me. "When did you and Christian become friends? He doesn't talk very much about such stuff, you know?"

"Oh, I sure do know about it," I said, shooting dear Sinclair a wry smile as he scowled at me. "It's actually a very funny story, we collided in the hallway and he snapped at me and I put him back in his place. And that was the start of a beautiful friendship."

Lucas cleared his throat loudly, taking a sip of his water. I beamed at Sinclair. "Won't you say so, Sinclair?"

He gave me a smile that looked so painful on his face, as if it was taking all of his will to put together the semblance of the smile for his mum's sake. "Yes, of course. So glad that you put me in place that day. Your reputation certainly... preceded you. Kind but commanding. Sure."

"Ah, how wonderful that everyone knows how lovely Jannat darling is," Agatha smiled at me, her grey eyes twinkling.

Dad shot me an amused glance, his green eyes shining with mirth. He was indeed the only one other than my friends who knew about the Walter-Sinclair feud. Baba still thought I was a little angel. I could almost hear Dad's voice in the back of my mind — you and Christian? Friends? Good reputation? Do I even know the Jannat she is talking about...?

I widened my eyes at him, pleading to him to stop teasing me. He smiled lightly, picking up his fork and having a bite of his food. Even without saying, I knew exactly what he was saying — oh, this is certainly going to be fun.