twenty one

~*~*~

~*~*~

"do you reckon he'll actually break up with her?"

~*~*~

regulus looked across the table that morning at breakfast as summer spoke about something, he didn't know what because he'd sort of went deaf to her voice and just sipped his pumpkin juice and nodded along with whatever she was talking about. he hadn't really registered anything since last night, how could he? he'd spent a few hours looking at stars, playing chess, talking about quidditch and kissing james in amongst the topic changes and even cutting the topics short to kiss, being too impatient to wait.

"how will you get to mine over break?" asked summer as the two got up from their seats and grabbed their trunks.

"your's?" asked regulus with knitted brows, but then he remembered the long time plan for them to meet their families, "oh, erm, dunno."

"are you okay, reg? you seem a bit distracted," enquired summer as she brushed a curl away from regulus' forehead that didn't feel anything like when james done it.

"i'm fine," shrugged regulus because he was fine, he felt great with james and he felt good on his own but now he just felt fine with summer which angered him because she was his best friend. now, he'd sort of ruined that by not speaking up and telling her the truth, rather than relying on the chance he'd fall in love with her.

"where did you disappear to?" asked summer, "y'know, after you bitch slapped crouch."

"i went with james to sort out my hand," responded regulus, semi honestly, because he did do that, he just snogged him too.

"since when was he upgraded to his first name?" asked summer with a seemingly nonchalant smile.

"dunno," shrugged regulus, looking away from her as they walked to one of the carriages, because she didn't know about the times they talked randomly and grew to like one another and he didn't want to get into all of that. he thought of those interactions as special and he wanted to keep them to himself and cherish it.

regulus looked around on the platform before boarding the hogwarts express to see if james was anywhere to be seen but he couldn't see him anywhere. disappointed, he followed summer down the train until she found an empty compartment, she slid open the door and practically threw her trunk up to the overhead storage. regulus looked at his watch and wondered where james could be and hoped he'd at least walk past the compartment just so he could see him, even if james didn't spot regulus, that wouldn't matter.

"what are you reading?" asked summer as she stopped filing her nails for a moment.

"the picture of dorian gray," said regulus as he turned the page, "by oscar wilde. y'know, he was jailed in 1895 for having intimate relations with men."

"what? he was arrested for being gay?" asked summer with a surprised and disgusted expression, especially when regulus nodded, "merlin, you'd think they'd work on getting the rapists and murderers."

"for the police back then and people back then and some now, being gay is the lowest of the low," said regulus with a shake of his, "whereas, i think the lowest of low is wrong pronunciation, like when sirius says valentimes day instead of valentine's day. i think he does it just to piss me off."

"how will your parents like lyra?" asked summer, the question stumped regulus because he hadn't actually thought of that.

"shit," said regulus as he looked at the cat in his lap with a saddened look.

"where are you going?" asked summer when regulus got up hastily with lyra in his arms.

"business call," answered regulus before he kicked the door shut behind him.

he headed down the train, looking into the different compartment windows. he'd never actively looked for someone before and so he didn't really anticipate how big this train was. he smiled when he noticed three out of four marauders in their compartment and slid open the door without a knock and looked to his brother.

"hi," said regulus, "where's -"

"why do you have prongs' cat?" asked sirius as he pointed to the cat in regulus' arms.

"oh, i found her, yes the cat is a girl, and james let me keep her," explained regulus, "but i didn't really think about mother and father and you know what they're like with animals. so, where's james because i need to see if he's okay to look after her over break, even though the idea of parting with her is making me have a breakdown."

"he went off somewhere with lily but you know he'll take good care of her," said sirius to which regulus rolled his eyes, for two of the things in that sentence.

"james lost her, that's why she's mine in the first place," refuted regulus condescendingly, "i'll wait here until he gets back."

"that might be a while," said peter under his breath as regulus sat next to him, regulus rolled his eyes again and was quietly jealous and angry but ensured to not show a flicker of that.

"do you reckon he'll actually break up with her?" asked remus skeptically, looking amongst the group.

"break up with her?" asked regulus, looking and sounding confused.

"things have been weird between them," said sirius vaguely, "he's been sleeping in our dorm, rather than his own one, although he did stay there last night."

"oh, right," said regulus sounding uninterested, giving an oscar worthy performance of not giving a shit about james' relationship status, "i'm just going to go find him myself. what way did they go?"

"they went to the prefects carriages," answered remus promptly, because he could tell regulus was practically dying to see james and so he was going to help him out without embarrassing him or putting him on the spot.

regulus thanked him and went to the prefects carriages. he was half expecting to walk in on them doing...something or one of them would be crying about their breakup. all he knew, was that he was going to knock. he walked past barty and smirked smugly and gestured to the bandage across barty's nose and headed on his way.

he got to the door of the prefects carriage and raised his hand to knock on the door but soon retracted his hand when he still heard talking. he couldn't tell what was being said but he knew it was james and lily and both sounded irritated and regulus figured that was no place for the baby, the baby being lyra, and so he turned and decided upon just putting lyra in his jacket and see how long he could get away with having her at home. it won't be that bad, right?

- - -

a/n

sorry this was boring and kind of bad? i'm still trying to recover over the last part.