Chapter 24

A.N.// The sequel has been posted. :)

Elena's POV

"What? What does she mean?" I asked desperately at the group. They shook their heads, and I sped down to the cellar. When I got there I felt faint, my brain wasn't working properly, and I thought I'd stop breathing.

"Jer," I said, feeling myself weaken at his state. I fell to my knees, crawling to my brother. "No, No, No, No. Please! Jer! Wakeup Wakeup!"

I heard ushered footsteps and gasps in between them. Gemma had killed Jeremy, her own brother, my brother! My mind wasn't working functionally, but all I could feel was anger and sadness.

"Take her out."

My mind clicked on those words, and I stood, growling at all of them. "No! No! Nobody touches me!"

"Elena, I can find a spell to save him! We can't lose him!" Bonnie exclaimed through tears.

"He's already dead! Jeremy is dead, and I could've prevented it if I wouldn't have let him down here. I killed my brother..." I said going back to cradling Jeremy's lifeless body.

Gemma killed her brother, our brother, she always wanted to protect him, yet look at what she had done. She had killed our only lifesaver. He wass what we were both holding onto to survive in this drastic changing world, and now there was nothing. Emptiness is all that remained.

*****

A week Later

Jeremy's body could now be found feet deep under the ground within a black stained coffin. It was the hardest decision I could've made since Jenna's death, and I was dreading it every step of the way. I received sympathy once again from everyone, and I felt like a magnet to it.

"I'm so sorry, Elena, Jeremy was a sweet boy. The person who attacked him will get all but justice."

"I'm sorry for your loss. I'm here for you," one said.

I just nodded at them, a silent way of saying thank you.

They all wanted justice for Jeremy, an wanted his attacker to be convicted, some even wanted 'them' dead. I just agreed. I couldn't exactly tell them his attacker was dead already, or that it was Gemma nonetheless. They'd asked about her as well, I just said she was too broken up about it.

It was a lie.

I don't know how Gemma was feeling. She has been probably out creating more misery, breaking even more families apart just like she had done with her own. Maybe she did feel remorse, and was dreading every bad thing she had done since the beginning of her life.

Gemma wasn't exactly a saint. She had been a trouble maker ever since before birth. At least that's what my mom always told us. She was far worse when we were kids, to myself and Jer it was worse. She would constantly hit us, yell at us, and beat us at everything. She was a sassy girl.

I found myself laughing, then my laughs progressed to sobs.

Jeremy is dead. My brother is dead.

I look up to the sky and say, "I miss you."

Gemma's POV

"Mother always told me not to play with my food, but I can't resist it. You look delicious and I really want to enjoy you before I kill you. Wouldn't you like that?" I asked the lady in front of me.

Her head moved side to side, silently begging me not to, but I was so hungry.

With a little bit of training I was able to keep down human blood without throwing it up, and learned how to enjoy it as well. It wasn't vampire blood, yet I knew how to get it.