fifty four

May 15th, 1980

Being 27 weeks pregnant on my twentieth birthday was not what I would have expected a year ago. It was getting harder to see my feet by the day, but that just went that I was closer to meeting my son.

James and I had been working on changing the guest bedroom into a nursery over the past month and it was all staring to come together.

The green-grey walls had been painted a soft white, and the queen-sized bed was replaced with a crib. In place of the tall dresser was a changing table with drawers built in.

There was a rocking chair by the crib, and a bookshelf that was being to be filled with picture books.

The closet was empty except for the few clothing items we had bought or that people had gave us for our son.

Now that I was less than a week away from my third trimester the realization that I was actually going to have a baby was making me anxious.

I'm a lot less emotional than I was during my first trimester, but my back hurts a lot more.

At least my boobs got bigger.

"Happy birthday, love," James said, as he set down a plate of pancakes and bacon in front of me.

He kissed me on the cheek before sitting down next to me in the kitchen.

"Thank you, darling."

I lathered butter onto my stack of pancakes before pouring syrup on top of it.

"What do you want to do for your birthday?"

I shrugged, "I don't care as long as I get to keep eating."

James laughed, "Okay, I will keep that in mind."

"Did you have something planned?" I asked.

James shrugged, "Maybe I do."

"Tell me!" I exclaimed.

"I know you never see your family that often," James began, "But what do you say we go to lunch with Sebastian and Penelope?"

I hugged James tightly, "Thank you for making this happen. How? Seb's always so busy at work-"

James cut me off with a kiss, "I have my ways."

By the time we finished breakfast, Sirius and Remus burst through our front door.

"Happy birthday, Vixen," Sirius chimed.

I went to get out of my chair to hug him, but couldn't get up because of my fucked up center of gravity.

Remus helped me up from my chair at the kitchen table, "Happy birthday!"

I hugged Remus before hugging Sirius.

"Thanks boys," I replied, "I'm surprised that you waited until after ten in the morning to slam open our front door."

Sirius shrugged, "Well, you're pregnant and it's your birthday so I figured that I'd let you sleep in."

Remus rolled his eyes, "He was up at six in the morning."

James, who was doing the dishes, scoffed, "I don't get how you can go from sleeping in until noon to waking up on your own at six in the morning."

"If you haven't noticed, I'm just built different," Sirius stated matter-o-factly.

I rolled my eyes, "You're just a drama queen most of the time."

"I will humbly admit to that," Sirius agreed.