Chapter 10: Confession

Hunter arrived at The Hēilóng Tavern not long after, with it being in the Valley of Peace. He entered to find it fairly busy, although not packed due to its remote location. He saw the Chih Kuans sitting at one of the tables further in, resting their wings and letting them heal, having likely sent a letter to their Clan to bring reinforcements and be aware just in case any more bandits appeared at the Thread. At least he hoped they had. Hunter walked over and dropped the necklace on the table in front of Master Qǐzhòngjī, who jumped a little having not heard Hunter approach. "Wow! You're quiet." he observed, looking at the necklace taken from the bandit leader, inspecting it closely to make sure it was what it seemed. "You did it... Your reputation is understated." Master Qǐzhòngjī said in slight surprise with a shake of his head, taking out a pouch of coins and handing it to Hunter. "I apologise in advance, as there is only ¥500 in there. I thought we had more stashed away here. Instead, I have written to the rest of the Chih Kuan instructing that you are to be granted a favour of your choosing at a time of your choosing, the small scroll that confirms it is in the pouch with the coins. I hope it is sufficient." Master Qǐzhòngjī bowed his head in shame at not living up to his promise of the reward.

Hunter chuckled a bit at that. "It's more than enough, don't worry." he said to the Cranes before turning to leave the Tavern and trek back to the Palace. Often he found favours more valuable than Yuan.

Master Qǐzhòngjī, after slight hesitation, called out. "Hey, Hunter." Hunter turned around at being called. "Stay and have a drink on us. It's the least we can do for your services." he smiled to Hunter, who nodded in agreement, sitting down at the table with the Crane Clan members, ordering a beer for himself.

...

:Later at the Jade Palace:

The Five, Po and Shifu all met up in the courtyard of the Jade Palace, having all rounded up what was left of the bandits, of which there were few and locking them up in the jails. Shifu had asked around, and apparently the new batch of guards supposed to help with guarding the Valley from threats not worth the Five's time had been infiltrated by the bandits, allowing them to take over. Guards had been reassigned from different villages in the Valley to support the one at the foot of the Palace which had been taken over. The Five, Shifu and Po also made sure to assist what citizens they could with repairing their shops and homes as well as promising them it will not happen again under their watch. Shifu looked to everyone. "Tigress?"

She answered succinctly with a respectful bow. "The Southern Valley is clear of bandits, Master. I also scouted out the Thread of Hope, and some of The Chih Kuan Crane Clan were flying overhead at the time. I waved them down and they told me that some of their members were ambushed and had their wings broken, but... The Hunter helped them and they're safe now." she informed Shifu with slight hesitance, who nodded at that.

He chuckled slightly then. "Hmm, as I would have expected of someone who had Master Oogway's trust." Shifu noted. "Viper?" He looked to her for her report.

She bowed her head and did as instructed. "The Eastern Valley is secure, Master. I found some fleeing bandits and made sure to hand them over to the guards. So to speak." Viper chuckled a little at her accidental slip of the tongue due to not having hands.

Shifu nodded with a slight smirk on his face, finding some humour in her words as well. "Mantis, Crane?" he turned to the next two.

"The North is clear." Mantis nodded to Shifu.

Crane agreed with Mantis at that. "I did some overhead scouting and found no evidence of bandit activity." he said to his Master in addition.

Shifu turned. "Monkey and Po?"