Chapter 7 - Episode 3: Fireflies - part 1

(Third POV) Preserve

Two kids are playing in the preserve. The little one, Billy, catches a firefly in his jar and excitedly shows it to his big sister, who rolls her eyes at him. "Ah! Got one!" Billy yells, making his sister scoff at him. "What are you doing, dumbass? You're supposed to put holes in the lid. Otherwise, you'll kill them." Breanne explains, making Billy pout at her.

"Do I have to let him go?" Billy asks disappointed. "Do you want him to die?" Breanne asks, making Billy shake his head and free the firefly. He then tries to capture another one. When he reaches a rock and almost captures one, he suddenly sees a hunched figure in front of him.

The figure moves and gets up, revealing that it is Boyd. He growls at Billy and shows off his glowing eyes, making the little boy scream. His siter, who is standing a little away, hears the scream and turns towards the sound. "Billy?" she yells. She then sees her brother running towards her.

"Run! Run!" Billy then yells panicked, before grabbing Breanne's hand and pulling her with him. They reach a shed and get inside. "He's gonna get in, he's gonna get inside..." Billy says frightened, making his sister close her eyes in fear. "Shut up! Shut up!" she says panicked.

Boyd throws the shed away, leaving both kids standing in the open. They look at Boyd with fear in their eyes. Before Boyd can lunge at them, fireflies get in his face, making him roar and slash at the insects. When he looks back, he can see that the kids are now gone.

A little distance away, Scott is standing with the kids, taking to Derek on the phone. "You lost them?" Derek asks in disbelief, making Scott sigh. "Yeah, I kind of had to..." he answers, looking at the two kids clutched at his waist. "Wasn't exactly the plan..." Derek says, making Scott sigh.

"I know, which is why I think that we should stick together. Trust me-- he's too strong, too fast, and way too angry for one person to handle. We've got to do this together." Scott explains. "Look, I'm at the trails by the entrance to the preserve. Can you meet me here?" Derek asks, making Scott hum. "Yeah... Just got to drop something off first..." he then says, looking back at the kids.

...

(Third POV) Martin House:

Lydia is sitting in her bed, rubbing her head. She had just screamed herself awake and was now experiencing a major headache. She looks over to her nightstand, looking through the empty ibuprofen bottle. When she sees that it's empty, she sighs and gets out of bed.

"Y/n, Mom? I'm going to the store..." Lydia yells, grabbing her coat and Y/n's car keys. She looks through the hallway when she hears no response. "Guys, do you hear me?" Lydia then yells again, rolling her eyes when she doesn't get an answer. "Of course you don't-- you would have heard me screaming like a lunatic." She mutters to herself, looking outside of the window and seeing the full moon in the sky. "Lunatic..." she murmurs to herself, before exiting the house.

...

(Third POV) preserve

"You coming?" Caitlin asks. She is sitting in a romantically lit tent, waiting for her girlfriend to join her inside. "Okay, there's a snake out here the size of a train." Emily says from outside of the tent, making Caitlin chuckle and playfully roll her eyes. "Then kick it!" she replies back.

"Uh, yeah, if I kick it, it will swallow my foot and drag me back down to Mordor..." Emily says, scoffing loudly. "Then jump over it!" Caitlin says, laughing at her remark. "Ahhhh!" Emily yells, when she jumps over the snake. She lands inside of the tent and lands on top of Caitlin.