i | the darkest hour pt. i

"you spill one ten-gallon pot of goat stew and suddenly you're branded as a criminal."

[4.1 — The Darkest Hour pt. 1]

Traveling across the Plains of Denaria was a cloaked figure moving slowly as they struggled to pull a horse cart across the uneven, dusty road

Traveling across the Plains of Denaria was a cloaked figure moving slowly as they struggled to pull a horse cart across the uneven, dusty road. The traveler would not continue on their journey uninterrupted as they had hoped for. Four Knights of Camelot, led by Sir Leon and Sir Elyan, rode up behind them on patrol.

"Halt! Stay where you are," Leon called as they grew closer. The cloaked woman ceased her movements but did not turn around. They dismounted their horses and walked closer to her. "Where are you headed?"

"The Seas of Meredor," the woman answered lowly.

"What's in the cart?" Leon asked, noticing a large covered lump in it. When the woman remained quiet, Leon motioned for the two spare knights to search her cart. However, as they approached, she turned and revealed her identity, startling them. "Lady Morgana!"

Morgana stuck out a hand and used her magic to throw the knights to the ground one at a time, knocking them out. She carefully searched the horizon, making sure there were no more before pulling off her hood and returning to the cart. She pulled the blanket off of Morgause's face.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

"Yes, thank you, Sister, but we must hurry," Morgause said weakly. "Night is nearly upon us and we still have far to go."

Morgause turned her face towards Morgana, revealing the hideous deformity on the right side of her face — a scar that remained from their attempt at taking Camelot the year before. Each time she looked at it, Morgana was filled with fury for those that had caused her sister such pain.

"And we still have far to go," Morgana muttered, looking in the distance. The Isle of the Blessed was just within their reach. Soon, Camelot would fall once and for all.

| | |

Merlin made a mad dash through the Main Square and castle corridors. He hastily dodged knights and servants that were decorating the castle, apologizing as he bumped into them. As he entered the kitchens, he nicked some food off of a passing serving tray.

"What are you doing in my kitchen?" Audrey, the head chef asked, threateningly pointing her soup ladle at him as if it were a weapon.

"Uh, the prince's shirt," he muttered, shrugging.

The cook scoffed and motioned to the clothesline hanging above the stove where the pots and pans were hanging, as well as the white tunic.

"Keep your dirty fingers off my food. Do you understand?" Audrey ordered, going back to work.

Merlin ducked out of the way of passing cooks, not wanting to knock the food out of their hands. Just as he grabbed the shirt, he bumped into Lia and gave her a questioning look. She grinned innocently but a moment later, stuck her finger into a pot of sauce that was cooking on the stove.