v | a servant of two masters

| i rearranged the order of this episode and his father's son so that this one occurred first so just a head up as i know some of you first time watchers are reading chapters as you finish episodes of merlin |

"illyria is the only person in this castle that i completely trust. to question her loyalty to camelot is to question my own."

[4.5 — A Servant of Two Masters]

"Five gold coins says Gwen demolishes him

"Five gold coins says Gwen demolishes him."

"How could you have such little faith in me, Gwaine?" Leon asked, scoffing.

"I apologize, my friend," Gwaine said, putting his hands up in defense. Then he turned back to Percival. "Make it twenty."

Lia, Arthur, Merlin, Gwen, and the knights were gathered on the training grounds. It was time for Gwen to face off against Leon to see if she was worthy of being Lia's personal guard. Similar to the test for the Knights of Camelot, she had to last for a full minute in a fight against Leon the same way they had to fight against Arthur.

Gwen had threatened to stab Leon if he even dared to go easy on her — and Arthur backed the threat up, taking the protection of Lia very seriously. If she could hold her own against the best of the knights, she could protect the Princess.

Bets had been placed, and everyone gathered to watch the showdown. There had been lots of trash talk — mainly from Gwaine and Elyan — and it was even better considering that Gwen and Leon had been friends since they were children. It would make the outcome more interesting and give the winner bragging rights for some time.

Arthur and the knights had crammed together on a bench, and Lia sat on the grass, leaning against Arthur's legs. Merlin had the sandglass in hand, in charge of keeping time. Gwen and Leon were standing across from each other, stretching and swinging their blunt swords around.

"Are you going to give a ridiculous speech like Arthur does before potential knights face him?" Lia asked, turning her head to smirk at him.

"My speeches were not ridiculous," he said, scoffing.

Lia cleared her throat and straightened her posture before speaking in a low tone, imitating Arthur. "Right, you jumped up dung beetle, this is it. The final test. Pass this and you're a knight of Camelot. Fail, and you're no one. You face the most feared of all foes, the ultimate killing machine. You face me."

The others snickered while Arthur lightly yanked on Lia's braid as he pouted. "I don't sound like that."

"She was spot on," Elyan said, chuckling.

"That was an exact quote from you," Merlin added. "At least Leon doesn't sound so pretentious now that he conducts the trials."

"I am not pretentious," Arthur complained.