Chapter 69 - Golden Threads

Your eyes flutter closed as you breathe in deeply, honeysuckle and wallowtail dancing in your mind as a gentle breeze stirs Loki's raven locks, which tickle your cheek as you lean against him, head on his shoulder. 

You smile as you feel Loki relax into you, leaning ever so slightly towards you as well, both of you leaning on the other for support as you watch the sun set over the distant horizon. 

For the first time in a long time, you feel...peace.

"Brother! Lady Y/n!" you hear Thor call from the distance. You feel Loki tense once more, and begin to shift, but you reach a hand over and place it on his thigh, and he stops.

"Shh," you say, a grin on your face. "Maybe if we're really, really quiet, he'll go away."

"That makes no sense," Loki answers. "He can see us."

You let out a sigh. "I know, Loki. It's a...it's an inside joke."

Groaning, you stand and dust off your jeans before holding a hand out to Loki, who looks at you curiously before taking it, but not using any of your own strength to push himself from the ground.

You and Loki walk back to Thor, a comfortable distance between you. Not too close, but not too far.

"Are you ready to ride, my lady?" Thor asks. "We should return before dark."

"Yep!" you smile. "Pull me up."

"We have many steeds at the stables," Loki says, re-bridling Trygve and mounting him, looking over at you and Thor, clearly irritated. "And yet you ride like an incompetent young girl," he scoffs.

You sharply inhale, upset by Loki's harsh words. 

"Brother," snaps Thor. "Watch your tongue."

Loki shrugs. "I speak truth. It's embarrassing, really," he says, casting you a disgusted, pitiful glance.

"Yeah Loki?" you shout over at him. "How do you know I can't ride, hm? Maybe I just like riding in Thor's arms!" you retort angrily. You know that will silence him. 

And it does, as he casts an angry, hurt glare at you before taking off, not waiting for you and Thor to follow.

Thor spurs his horse, and quickly catches up with Loki, but hangs several horse lengths behind, giving him space.

"That was unkind, my lady," Thor whispers in your ear as you ride. "You know our friendship bothers him."

"Does it?" you hiss. "He doesn't even know me, Thor. Why would he care? He doesn't have feelings for me any longer, remember?"

"I think we both know that isn't true," says Thor. "He is, after all, your sálufélagi."