A New Plan

This chapter is in Aster's POV.

It feels like I've been waiting for forever. It's cramped in this closet and there's nothing more I want than to stretch my legs. But I can't exactly do that if the Mandalorian doesn't let me out.

The Mandalorian. Just thinking about him causes a vortex of emotions to swirl around inside me. Some good, some bad.

I'm bored. And I have nothing better to do, so I make a list of pros and cons regarding the Mandalorian.

Pros: he's hot. Well, he actually could be hideous. I've never seen his face. Maybe that's a con. But, he is kind. I mean, yeah, he's killed a lot of people but I'm not entirely innocent either. If it weren't for me, Master Burgess would still be alive. Another pro: he likes me. At least, I think he does.

Cons: I've never seen his face. I've barely seen any of him. He's a Mandalorian, sworn to never show his face to anyone. That might put a bit of a damper on any relationship. And, there's the big, glaring fact that he's my Master and I'm a slave.

Nothing good has ever come out of a relationship between a slave and a Master. I know that. I've heard stories of girls becoming smitten with their Masters, only to be sold the second he becomes of them.

I hold back a shudder. There's so many things that could go badly between us. So many obstacles. Yet a stupid part of me longs for him.

Don't forget about the Twi'leck. I think to myself. I had heard their conversation between the thin walls. The Mandalorian once had feelings for her. And who am I to compete with a Twi'? Rumor has it that Twi'lecks have million dollar pussys. Men go crazy over them.

And there's the fact that she's a killer, just like the Mandalorian. She knows what she's doing. She doesn't need protection. She's everything that I'm not.

I sigh, closing my eyes. It's not like I have anything better to do than sleep. My neck is shoved at an uncomfortable angle, but the soft snores of the Child help me drift into my dreams.

My dreams are less dreams and more nightmares. Everything is a blur and whirl of emotions. I see a man wearing black, murderous glee sparkling in his eyes. The fragment of an image then shifts to an orange-skinned woman with a snarl on her face. A woman with short, red hair and angular face comes into focus before my dream stops at an image of a blade shrouded in darkness.

"Aster."

My eyes snap open to the sound of my Master's voice. The door is open, and he stands there, looming over me.

"You're alive," I say groggily.

"Barely." I have a feeling he's not joking.

"A mission with your ex is never a good idea." I force my tone to be light.

"I wasn't aware she'd be there." He doesn't try to protest. "But, considering she's now locked in a New Republic cell, you've got nothing to worry about."

"Remind me not to get on your bad side." I get up and stretch my cramped legs. I'm very aware of the way the Mandalorian watches me.

"What Xi'an and I had was nothing. Not to me, anyway."

"Is this nothing?" I raise an eyebrow at the Mandalorian.

"I have stolen a Child with one of the highest bounties in the galaxy for you. I'll let you decide if this is nothing."

"You also leave me whenever we're getting close, so it feels like nothing."

"Aster, please. I'm trying. All of this is new to me. And you too."

"I'm a slave. Sexual advances from men are nothing new to me." I don't know why I'm fighting. Maybe I'm hoping the Mandalorian will admit this is a mistake and let me go before I get too attached.

"I thought what we had between us was wanted?" The Mandalorian suddenly sounds unsure.

"It is what I want. It's just..." My voice trails off. There's too many thoughts happening in my head at once.

"I understand. I never want to make you uncomfortable. If I'm ever doing something that you don't want, tell me. Please." The Mandalorian's voice is gentle and understanding.

I throw my arms around him. His armor is hard and awkward, but as the Mandalorian wraps his arms around me, I feel safe. He is warm and steady and suddenly the only thing that matters.

"I received a transmission earlier. An important one. One regarding the Child."

I pull away from him and glance back at the Child, who's still sleeping in the closet.

"Leave the Child down here. Let him sleep while he can. You should listen to this."

I follow the Mandalorian back up the ladder onto the first floor of the Razor Crest. We're silent as he leads me into the cockpit. The Mandalorian presses a button, and a grainy hologram begins to play.

I recognize the face. Greef Karga. The man who almost killed us.

"My friend, if you are receiving this transmission, that means you are alive." Duh. "You might be surprised to hear this, but I am alive, too. I guess we can call it even. A lot has happened since we last saw each other. The man who hired you is still here, and his ranks of ex-Imperial guards have grown. They have imposed despotic rule over my city, which has impeded the livelihood of the Guild. We consider him an enemy, but we cannot get close enough to take him out. If you would consider one last commission, I will very much make it worth your while. You have been successful so far in staving off their hunters, but they will not stop until they have their prize. So, here is my proposition. Return to Nevarro. Bring the Child as bait. I will arrange an exchange, and provide loyal Guild member as protection. Once we get near the client, you will kill him, and we both get what we want. If you succeed, you keep the Child and I will have your name cleared with the Guild, for a man of honor should never be forced to live in exile. I await your arrival with optimism."

I stare as the hologram flickers into darkness.

"You can't seriously be considering this, can you?"

"We can't run forever, Aster. This will clear my name, along with the Child's. I can become a bounty hunter again. We can be safe. All three of us." The tone of the Mandalorian's voice tells me this is final.

"Ok, so what's the plan?"