22

"People will stare

"People will stare. Make it worth their while."

I could hear the violins through the door and waited for the foot men to open them.

"Name and-" A man with a small list said before looking up at me. He turned to the man with the fancy stick and whispered in his ear.

"I'm Astrid." I said just in case.

"Oh we know."

"Astrid, the siren!" The guy tapped his stick on the ground.

Everyone already in the ballroom turned to look at me. Whispers spread through the room, and I suddenly felt very self conscious.

I felt someone come up behind me, perhaps only a few feet. I turned, and was genuinely surprised to see Caspian.

"Everyone is looking at me." I blurted.

He smiled and looked to the ground, "You went from an exotic creature to an exotic woman in less than a month, that's bound to get people talking."

I placed my hand on my stomach, feeling sick, "This isn't a good idea."

Caspian extended an arm that I subconsciously took, "Don't think about them," He waited until I looked into his eyes, "It's only you and me. I'm just teaching a siren how to dance."

I gained confidence when those crowding the dance floor cleared for us, "Would you like to dance, Astrid?"

Something about the way he said my name...

I nodded and grabbed his hand, letting him lead me into a dance.

The song the orchestra played was different than what we practiced to. It was more piano based than the other one, but it felt more fitting to what the night felt like.

"What are you thinking about?" Caspian whispered in my ear.

Shivers ran down my spine, "This pianist is very skilled." I whispered back.

He twirled me around, pulling me back closely, "You seem to be getting better at this."

I looked to those in the crowd looking at us, "Who else will you dance with tonight?"

My question seemed to surprise him, but he recovered quickly, "Not very many others. I'm not much if a fan of dancing."

I looked to him with feigned betrayal, "And here I thought you were some kind of dancing connoisseur."

He smiled as we stepped back, letting the tune move us more than we did ourselves, "Of course not, I just can't pass up a time to make you look bad."

"Comparatively, I am far more skilled in every other area."

"Perhaps, but I outshine you in the arts."

"There aren't outlets for art under the ocean."

"What do you spend your time doing? In your free time?"