Chapter 20 | "you already know"

The moment they were released to prep for their mini duels, Renjun stood from his seat, harshly grabbed Harin's wrist, and dragged her out of the room.

"Junnie, that hurts!" She whined out.

"Cut the crap. What the hell was that in there?" He growled, his eyes full of anger.

"W-what?"

"Why the fuck did you throw the knife at her? At Miyeon. Hmm? You could've killed her!" He yelled.

"Maybe I wanted to!" She shouted back.

Renjun clenched his fists at his side as he felt his blood boil.

"You bitch, I swear-"

"Son!" Renjun turned to see the King walking down the hallway. "That's no way to speak to your future wife, now is it?" his father said with a forced smile as he glared at his son.

"No, father." Renjun replied, holding in his anger as he stared at the ground.

"Right, don't let me hear things like that again."

"Yes sir." With that the King dipped his head to Harin and walked off.

Renjun waited until his father was gone before looking at Harin again, his eyes dark and threatening as he glared her down.

"Let me make one thing very very clear to you," he whispered in a low growl. "You will never be my wife. We may be bound by marriage, but I will never love you or think of you as a wife. So congratulations, you got what you wanted, you're marrying a royal. But cut the bullshit voice and cutesy acting because it's not working."

Harin was stunned as Renjun turned away from her. He began to walk away but turned on his heel, going back to stare her down.

"And if you hurt a single person in that room, especially Miyeon, I will have you thrown out of this castle before you can even blink. We may be engaged, but I'm still the prince, don't forget that."

And with that, he stalked back into the training room.

- - -

Miyeon wandered through the garden, her hand lightly bandaged as she breathed in the fresh air. All the bushes and flowers quite literally sparkled in the moonlight, making it feel as though she was walking through some sort of fairytale. She strolled along the path before she found herself facing a familiar dead end with hanging ivy.

He did say I could come here whenever I wanted...

Letting out a sigh, she pushed the ivy to the side and walked through the hidden opening, a smile making it's way onto her face as she stared at Renjun's private garden. As she looked around, she couldn't help but feel sad. She stared at the familiar spots around the small space. Where they had spent hours talking about themselves and their lives. Where she had finally let him see her face. Where he called her beautiful...

"Are you thinking about it too?"

Miyeon spun on her heel to see Renjun standing there, staring at her with a soft smile.

"I didn't know you'd remember this place, but I was hopeful." He added, crossing the grass to go stand in front of her.

"Of course I remembered. This was one of the last times we actually talked." She whispered out, staring up at him. "I should go, I'm sorry for interrupting your private time."

She started to step forward to talk past him but he gently grabbed her shoulder, stopping her in her tracks.

"Please don't go."