||39||

A long time of hiking later but not really because of Kouta's quirk_

"I'm leaving now. Both of you have fun~ I'll come back at the end of the time you wanted to be up here, Ren," Kouta waved as he jogged on the spot before turning and jogging back down the mountain, probably using his quirk to go faster.

"Oh thank god," I sighed and dropped down on the snow beneath me, "that guy is so annoying. How did you survive three years without strangling him?"

"Oh I did strangle him. I also threw him out the third-floor window," Ren replied, "the damn bastard must be part cockroach. He keeps coming back no matter what I do."

He rolled his eyes before clapping his hands together and looking at me seriously.

"Right," was what he said before pausing and patting himself down, "where did I put... Ah. Here it is."

He eventually found the pocket he needed and pulled out a piece of paper.

"During this week, you're going to be burning your quirk every day and night without rest," he declared, "we'll start with low heat and gradually double it until you get into your sealed reserves from there, we'll triple your output every time you get used to it."

Yeah... That doesn't sound like it'll work. Nor fun in the slightest.

"Trust me. My Dad did this to me when I was sixteen, I'm sure you can do it at seventeen," Ren elbowed me in the side.

"I'm eighteen," I muttered awkwardly before shaking it off, "do I start now?"

"Yep," he nodded, "oh and... I'll be attacking you whenever I feel you're losing heat. Think of it as a way to keep reflexes up and your quirk burning."

This sounds like it'll be a nightmare.

"I'm not really convinced that this is really a good idea," I told Ren, the pro looked at me with an unamused expression, "fine, fine. I'll do it."

I activated my quirk and sat down in the snow, watching as it melted away as soon as I sat down, and my flames touched it.

"Good. I'm going to set up my tent," Ren announced.

"Your tent?" I repeated, "what about me?"

"You're going to stay outside and be a good dog and work on your quirk," he replied.

Dog?

If anything, at least call me a phoenix. Yeesh.

I watched as he struggled with the connecting poles, numerous strings, and the waterproof covering of the tent. It probably went on for about fifteen, maybe twenty minutes before Ren gave up and stabbed two poles in the ground, had them crossed over each other, did another the same and then stabbed a longer pole halfway between the two sets and then tossed the tent over them.

"That'll do," Ren nodded to him. Clearly very proud with his disaster tent.

Shaking my head, I focused on my flames, feeling the tingling on my back from the gradual burning.

Suddenly the feeling of a fist being buried into the side of my face sent me tumbling off to the side and causing me to lose concentration.

"What the hell?!" I shouted, holding my stinging face, and looking to the pro hero I've called my mentor for the past two and a half years. Something I've mildly regretted numerous times, however, he was probably the best person besides my Dad and possibly Endeavor to teach me. One of the only reasons I stuck around.

"I told you, I'd be attacking you to keep your reactions up," Ren shrugged, using his hands to emphasise his 'innocence' to punching me square in my jaw.

"You could've warned me first," I glared at him.

"I told you I'd do it randomly. The whole point to working on your reflexes is so that you don't know that it's going to happen," he returned with a laugh, "now stop whining, get to burning your quirk up. Did you bring your cream by the way?"

"Yeah," I nodded. Still not too happy about the fact I was just punched but still getting over it.

"Great, I'll keep applying it whenever I see your back starting to burn up," he told me, "other than that. I'll be enjoying my holiday away from villains and that bastard back in the agency."

Oh great...