Party

Something was wrong with Avishek. Okay, not wrong, but something was different. He smiled a lot more, he talked to me a lot more, he teased me so much, I was a stuttering mess most of the time in front of him. Ever since the night I told him about my past, he was much nicer. I thought it was pity at first, but then he genuinely seemed much happier than before. Like a weight had been lifted from his shoulder. I don't know what compelled me to share but we were doing so good before that. It was almost like, we were becoming friends and I wanted to share, I wanted to talk. 

So, I did. 

What I did not expect was the caress on my cheeks, the apologies and the sincere eyes. It was my cheek he touched, but the way my body felt like it was on fire, you'd have thought he had done something else. I didn't know what was happening, but I liked it. I liked it very much.

Time trickled by and soon came Rahul and Payal's birthday. We threw a small party for them at our house. Just close friends and family. They stayed all day, eating, laughing, celebrating. I was content and so I could not stop smiling.

That evening, as everyone went back home, Vikram and his wife, stayed back. Apparently, Avishek and Ruchika decided to have a little throwback to their college days and insisted Vikram and Neelam to stay.

We were in living room, talking, well, I was just listening, Ruchika went back to her room and brought few bottles with her. Bottles that looked like it was alcohol. I stared at her open mouthed. She noticed my stare and shrugged.

"What?"

"I feel like you are a clingy drunk. The one who clings to everyone and tells them how much you love them." I said.

"You're right." Vikram piqued from his position on the floor.

"Whatever. We met after such a long time. When will be ever get a chance like this?" Ruchika said, passing a glass to everyone.

I declined the one offered to me. I don't drink. Before, since mom and dad were here, no one ever brought drinks back home, but I knew both my children and Avishek drank. I always thought if I should give them a talk, but then I also knew that Avishek did have a talk with them and I trusted him.

"You don't drink?" Neelam asked.

"No." I smiled at her.

"Okay, I'll bring you a glass of juice, then" and before I could refuse again, Ruchika hopped to kitchen.

So, now, all of them had alcohol, and I nursed a glass of cola for a long time.

Why do I have a feeling that this was going to be a long night?

"Get off me, woman." I pushed Ruchika for the 10th time that night. 

I was right. She was a clingy drunk. By the time she gulped down 4th glass, she stumbled her way and plopped down beside me, hugging me, saying, "You are so nice, so pretty, so caring."

I heard giggling from the other side and saw Vikram dodging Neelam's slap for taking away her drink for her.

"Remind me again, whose idea was this?" Vikram said exasperatedly, still trying to get hold of his drunk wife. Few minutes into the drink, looking at the other two ladies, the guys decided to cut off their own drink.

Avishek was sprawled out in the sofa, nursing the same half-full glass because Ruchika kept trying to give him more.

When I felt Ruchika's hand creeping up my arms again, I hopped off from the sofa.

"My glass is empty; I'm going to bring more cola" and started my way towards the kitchen.

I sat on the chair in the kitchen and let my head fall on the table. I was exhausted, and I didn't touch a drop of alcohol. I saw a bottle of cola in front of me and poured a glass.

Even though it was exhausting to take care of drunk Ruchika, she was hilarious. I mused, sipping on my cola. I was glad for the few minutes of peace before going to the chaos again.

This was quite tasty. The glass Ruchika brought before, I couldn't drink it because, apparently, Neelam liked it so much, she drank it all.

I drank more, wanting to stay here and drink this all night long. After unhealthy amount of glasses, I stood up and then sat down at the room spun.

Oh! 

I'm back, you guys. I hope you had a good week. 

Anyway, this was all for today. What do you think will happen next? Will I make it a drunken cliché or something else? 

Please leave a comment and vote if you liked the chapter.