Chapter 17: Genin Takedown! All Nine Rookies Face Off!

A/N: Thank you all for being so supportive! I am blessed to have you.

-------

        You stood outside of the room that read '301'. You and your team were in a stand-off. With whom? Simple, Kakashi, who was waiting for you beside the door.

        "I see. Sakura, you've come, too. Now you can formally register for the Chūnin Exam," Kakashi informed.

        "What do you mean?"

        "Actually, from the start, only three-man squads could apply and take the exam."

        "But, what about us?" Sakura wondered. "We're a four-man squad, aren't we? And you also said that the decision to take the exams was up to the individual."

        "Yes... I said that."

        "Were you lying?"

        Kakashi gazed out the window. "Yes, I was... If I said that, Sasuke and Naruto would probably forcefully convince you to take it. Even if you didn't have the will to apply, if Sasuke, or even (A/n), asks you, you would attempt to take the exams half-heartedly. For Sasuke and (A/n)'s sake and, well, Naruto's."

        "Then, if... even if I wouldn't have come, (A/n)-chan would be here, creating a three-man squad, right?"

        "Still, I would have stopped the Exam here. The Kages all decided that (A/n) is too much of a wild-card, unsure of where her loyalties lie or to what extent her abilities are. Even though I have no doubt that she only has the good of Konoha in mind, the others aren't so certain. This is why she will only be there to help you pass the Exam. In other words, she would only be there to bail you out of difficult situations."

        "So, does that mean (A/n) won't be taking the Exam with us?" Sasuke inquired.

        "Not directly, no. But if you need her, she'll be there."

        Comical tears began to stream down Naruto's face as he latched onto your arm like a koala. "NOOO! (A/N)-CHAN! DON'T LEAVE ME!!!"

        Sakura punched Naruto on the top of his head, causing him to flop down onto the ground. "Baka! She's not leaving just you! She's leaving us, too! Besides, she's-"

        "Right here," you cut in. Sakura blushed in embarrassment. You continued. "I'm still going to be watching over you, so I'm not abandoning you. Not yet at least." You added that last sentence under your breath, making sure that no one heard it. "I'll only be one call away."

        "You guys came here on your own will," Kakashi started. "Sakura! Naruto! (A/n)! And, Sasuke!"

        Your sensei gave you all a close-eyed smile. "I'm glad you came. You're a team I'm proud of." He stepped away from the door, leaving the path inside clear. "Now then, go on!"

        "Yosh! Let's go, 'ttebayo!" Naruto cheered.

        Sasuke and Sakura stepped forward, pushing the double doors open. Naruto trailed after them, and you stepped forward to follow until you were stopped by a hand on your shoulder.

        "Look after them for me," Kakashi murmured. You gave him a curt nod.

        "I will. Don't worry."

        Kakashi gave you a soft smile before patting your back and sending you inside.