29. Drunk Story

"Beg your pardon?" asked Ariana in disbelief.

"It's difficult for me to believe as well but it's absolutely true. Their marriage has been annulled by the Head Priest on their request. How could they? They are mates for god's sake!" Penny whispered in horror.  

Ariana was stunned. She stood there, breathing rapidly without blinking. Her eyes were wet and her mouth had gone dry. 

"Ari?" She heard Sean say. 

"Let's go." Sean motioned towards the door.

Ariana started walking with him senselessly. Her vision was so blurry that she would not have been able to reach to her dorm safely without Sean guiding her the whole way. 

Sean could tell that she was disturbed after hearing the news. He was amazed to see werewolves being affected to this extent by something regarding personal life of their leader. He could care less about the president of his country. Anyway, he didn't want to make small talks to console her about a matter he had no idea of. So, he thought it was best to leave her alone for now.

As he reached his house, he found his mom seated in the living room with a glass of water in her hand. "Why are you up so late?" He asked.

"Well your father has been getting unnecessary calls all night. All of them informing him about the werewolf King and Queen's failed marriage." Vanity Windsor rolled her eyes.

"Yeah. Apparently it's a huge deal." Sean chuckled.

"No, no. It is." Vanity folded her arms. "Annulments and divorces are rare in their world. They literally get their soulmates for life. And they worship their royalty. So of course this news is being spread everywhere."

"So the King is placed above everyone else? Aren't there popes or something?"

"No. There are priests and a Head Priest among them. The current one's name is Narcisse. But even they aren't above the King. Lancasters are supposedly descendant of their Goddess. So, no other werewolf tries to take over them as it is considered blasphemy.  Every word from the Monarch is taken as direct message from the Goddess herself by the subjects."

"Something tells me that werewolves are very superstitious." Sean shook his head.

Vanity nodded her head. "It's best not to interfere in their faith and simply run our business. That's how we Windsors have done it for centuries. Do you understand?"

"I do, mom."

After a pause, Sean asked. "So what's the name of the King again?"

"His Majesty, Xavier Kon Lancaster." Vanity put emphasis on each word.

"Xavier?" Sean shot up from his seat.

"Mmm..." Vanity diverted her attention to the newspaper.

Sean rushed to his room. He clutched his hair tightly before releasing them. Now he knew what Nate meant when he had said that even if they brought an army, they wouldn't be able to kill Ariana's ex. He was talking about the King of the most powerful empire in the whole world. And now that guy was free. Free to snatch Ariana away. Would he even have to snatch? She could be willing.

The more he thought about it, the more he had the urge to go to Ariana right then and there and cage her in his arms.

                              **~~~**

Ariana was lying in her bed with her lights turned off. Her throat was hurting from all the crying. She woke up and turned on the light to grab a tissue. While doing so, she caught her reflection in the mirror. She walked and stood in front of it and wiped her tears away with her hand instead. As she was trying to compose herself, she burst into tears once again.