Forty-Seven: Hubris With a Side of Catharsis

I should be there. He's not a kindergartener, it's not his first day at school, but I should still be there. I didn't even know Iremborough was affiliated, they hide it well. I should go and see the school, I've never even been to Metalworks. Demo told me a bit about it, the major thing I have a problem with is that he's going to be classed as though he is a mercenary like them and essentially learn everything about what we're doing. There aren't subclasses like I found out Stronghold is. Alpha is a sniper subclass, Pilot's somewhat an engineer, and Neuro's a medic. Well, she's also Captain, which is an experimental class all on its own, but I think it could be likened to a soldier. A Battle Medic, that's what she is.

With how much of an interest Salvador has in track and field, I'd be surprised if he was put anywhere else but in the scout division. Scout volunteered to go, and I let him. He might be able to provide some helpful insight, but I don't want him to at the same time. This shouldn't be a scenario that's happening. A culture shock like this is too much stimulation, and Salvador might just run off again if he finds it too much. The team is trying their best to be lowkey this morning, but they can't help it much and act how they normally do. It's a leap of faith, I have to start trusting them more.

"Guten Morgen, Komplizin," Medic greets when he nudges me over from the sink as I'm pouring water into a coffee pot. I'm guessing that Medic not wearing his coat and gloves is him trying to seem less like a mercenary. Salvador sits at the table, and Medic acknowledges him when he turns around. "Oh, and company."

"Morning, Medic," I respond. I might as well take this in stride and try to pretend this is a normal day at the fort. Salvador just waves at Medic as he puts his backpack on. I'm keeping his duffel bag, I'll have to do something about it later. "Salvador, are you hungry?" He eyes me before looking down at the table. "You can say yes, I'm not letting you go hungry."

He gently nods, and I hum as I put coffee grounds in the maker and let it brew. Medic ties on his apron and puts his hand up to bar me from the stove. "That's my job. Allergies I should know about?" Medic looks at Salvador.

"No, sir," he shakes his head.

"Bauernomelett it is then," he decides and turns on the stove before looking at me. "Farmer's omelet."

"Ah," I nod. "Was Engie up?"

"He never went to sleep, he should be in his workshop," Medic tells as he moves to the fridge to take out a carton of eggs and the milk. "He told me that he stayed up in case you needed anything."

"Right, I don't know why I assumed otherwise, half of the team was up all night with me, anyway," I pick up the coffee pot and set another in the maker with water and grounds. Medic looks at me in a certain way as if I'm missing something, but it could just be out of concern with the situation. "I'm going to take this to Sniper, and then I'm going to go check on Scout and Engie, make sure Pyro is up to go with Engie, I still need Soldier to turn in some stuff--" I sigh and press the button on the machine with a stressed smile. The team not doing what I'm telling them to is making me age twice as fast. "You get the point. Salvador, be nice to Medic. Medic, don't scare my brother."

I leave with a clean mug and the coffee pot, traversing to Sniper's tower. Cold is slowly but surely rolling in. A light breeze is all we get for the time being. Going up Sniper's tower is something that's easier to do now with the stairs, but it's a task I dread doing because that means I have to willingly conversate with him. I open the door and set the coffee pot down on one of his crates. He snores as he sleeps on the couch. He has a backpack in the corner of the room, and I see a blue cloth poking out from where the zippers meet. He seems pretty into it. My heels gently tack as I sashay over. Sniper doesn't budge while I pull the zippers down with my index finger under the tiny piece of metal in the bag to minimize the noise. The cloth is a shirt, and I pull it out enough to reveal the yellow sniper class emblem on the arm.