One

Mallie Cruz rang the doorbell of her best friend's house, checking her phone while she waited for the door to open.

"Auntie Mal!" Zola Grey-Shepherd opened the door with a wide smile. Mallie laughed and stepped inside the house.

"You shouldn't be opening the door alone, Zola-bear. You know that," Mallie said. She bumped the door closed behind her. "Mer, it's me!" she called.

"Kitchen!" Meredith Grey called back.

"Let's go, mi dulce," Mallie said. She followed Zola to the kitchen, grinning when Bailey and Ellis jumped off their seats to hug her. "All of my babies are happy today," Mallie laughed, hugging them tightly.

"Morning, Mallie," Maggie greeted her with a cup of coffee. Mallie kissed her cheek gratefully.

"Gracias, Maggie. If we get a big call today, I think I'm gonna cry," Mallie said.

"Well, you fight fires for a living. We cry every time you get a big call," Meredith rolled her eyes. Mallie laughed and walked over, hugging Meredith from behind and kissing her cheek.

"Yeah, but you love me so you deal with it," she said.

"I do love you. I still prefer the days you were a surgeon with me," Meredith laughed.

"Who loves who?" Amelia walked into the kitchen with a sigh. "Oh, hi, Cruz. I forgot it was Tuesday. It's your day to take the kids," she said, blushing slightly as the Latina scanned Amelia over.

"Hola, Shepherd," Mallie said, sipping her coffee.

"Mallie, can we go?" Zola asked.

"Sure, let's go," Mallie smiled.

"Are we in the rig?" Bailey asked.

"Not today, little guy," Mallie ruffled his hair fondly. "We're just in my car. You guys can come and visit on the weekend, see the squad. Maybe we'll even recruit you guys," Mallie said. Ellis laughed, holding her arms out. Mallie pulled her onto her hip.

"I can be a firefighter?" Ellis asked.

"Sure you can," Meredith smiled, kissing her cheek as she grabbed the schoolbags to help Mallie pack the car.

"I'll get them," Amelia said. Meredith handed the bags over.

"Give mommy and aunt Maggie a kiss," Mallie put Ellis down. "I'll text you guys later," she said.

"Be safe, Cruz," Meredith pointed warningly at her as she hugged her kids goodbye.

"Always am, Grey," Mallie grinned. She grabbed the lunch Maggie was holding out for her and made her way to the car, Amelia following with the kids in tow.

"Be good at school!" Meredith called.

"We will be!" Zola called back.

"Okay, bebés. Zola-bear, get in the front. Ells-bells, it's your turn with the music. Bailey-boy, help her pick," Mallie handed her phone over, unlocking her car so the kids could get in. She opened the boot, Amelia throwing the school bags in.

"How was work yesterday?" Amelia asked.

"It was fine. No big calls," Mallie said.

"How many calls?" Amelia closed the boot.

"Two. Small fires, easy fires," Mallie said. She leaned against the car, crossing her arms over her chest. Amelia's eyes fell to the tight-fitting Station 19 t-shirt she was wearing.

"Good. You'll call me if you have any bad ones?" she said.

"How's work?" Mallie changed the subject.