Chapter 46

Gyth’s POV

I let out a sigh, trying to calm my nerves. I was about to walk my way to my chamber when her words echoed repeatedly in my ear.

“But I want to..” Chevel mumbled to which I heard clearly as day.

I blinked constantly, confused as to why and what she meant. Nevertheless, I kept my composure and granted her request.

“If you say so.” I responded.

She must’ve thought that I didn’t heard her as she proceeded to cover her mouth upon hearing my words. Although, she should’ve known by now that I have extraordinary sense of sight and hearing.

I turned to walk towards the long hallway upon realizing how frozen and fazed she was.

“Are you coming?” I asked after taking a few steps, noticing how she was still frozen in place.

“C-coming!” She answered, taking long strides behind me. I smirked upon seeing closely how flushed she was.

I opened the door to my chambers and darkness engulfed us as we made our way in. I can already feel my body releasing all its built up stress as I walk into the dark.

It’s bright as day outside but I made sure that the curtains installed wouldn’t let any light come through.

I took off my robe and hanged it onto the rack when I heard a thud from behind.

I immediately darted towards Chevel who’s wincing on the floor.

“Be careful.” I said as I immediately helped her to her feet and sat her to my bed.

I was caught off guard when I noticed her eyes staring right through my hands that are currently holding hers. I rashly let go of her hand upon realizing that I’ve been holding them for quite a while.

I stared onto the darkness, letting out a sigh. I’ve been pretty stressed out since this morning. I don’t even know why I’m annoyed at the fact that Chevel had made a few human friends.

I should be happy that she’s happy.

But I can’t brush off the uneasy feeling brewing in my stomach when I see her with that red-haired man.

“Gyth..” Chevel whispered suddenly making my gaze whip towards her silver ones.

She stared right back at me as I savored the majestic view of her silver locks glimmering in the dark. I raised my brow, studying her as she fell silent after calling out my name.

After a short while, she hastily turned away, clearing her throat and slapping her cheeks for who knows why. I tilted my head as I observed her do her weird antics.

“Can you please tell me what’s wrong?” She asked all too sudden as she turned to look at me, catching me off guard.

I stared right back at her, unable to utter a word. I constantly tried to open my mouth but no matter how hard I tried, there are no words coming out.

I don’t have the guts to tell her.

What would I even tell her at this point? That I don’t like her hanging out with that red-haired man? She would definitely despise me and that’s the last thing that I want.

But no, that’s not even the problem.

I am.

I never thought that seeing her happy with a human just like her would make me feel so small.

I wish it were that simple to say that I’m insecure at the fact that I’m not human and I won’t be as warm as one.

That whenever I touched her, I hope that it will warm her up instead of making her shiver.

“I promised.. that I’d be honest with you.” She suddenly murmured, gaining my full attention.

“Can you do that too?” She asked shifting her gaze to mine, as I look straight back at her.

Her silver eyes are pleading as they stared right through mine.

Chevel what would I do to you?

I grabbed her wrist softly and engulfed her in my arms, letting go of the hate I have of my cold skin.

As soon as I felt her warmth, the uneasiness brewing inside me rose up to my eyes. Before I knew it, a bead of water dropped down from my eye.

I stood up from the bed, letting go of Chevel as I searched for the bottle of wine.

I panicked, as I never experienced this sensation before. I groaned as the pulsating pain I’m feeling that is radiating from my chest is too unbearable.

“Gyth!” Chevel cried out, struggling to follow me from behind as I pour wine to the glass with trembling hands.

“Gyth where are you?” Chevel cried as her voice continued to resonate in my mind.

I continued to drink the last bit of the bottle before my trembling was gone. As soon as I calmed down a bit, I turned to look at Chevel who’s on her knees continuing to search for me in the darkness.

“Chevel.” I called out her name as I rushed towards her. I softly lifted her arms, helping her to stand up.

“Gyth, what happened? Are you alright?” She asked, holding both of my arms as she searched for my eyes.

“I’m alright now.” I answered as I locked my gaze to hers.

I inhaled deeply and released a long sigh as I felt the exhaustion in my body. This day has been surprisingly stressful for me in a somewhat unexpected reason.

“Are you sure?” Chevel asked, her mirror eyes fixated on mine, showing how undeniably worried she was.

How can I ever tell you if you’re being this concerned about me?
You don’t have to be burdened by my whims.

All of a sudden I felt myself leaning forward towards her. I would've blamed the wine if I could but my tolerance says otherwise.

Before I could even do anything I might regret, I turned towards the bed and collapsed myself.

“I’m tired.” I responded.

Without a second thought, Chevel tucked me in the covers quietly. She then proceeded to lift my head softly and settled a pillow underneath.

She stood up soon after and before she could even take a step, I grabbed her wrist. She turned around in shock as she darted her eyes to mine.

“Can you stay until I fall asleep?” I impulsively asked without thinking.

I let out a sigh, slowly sliding off my hand that’s gripping hers when she suddenly grabbed it back.

“I'm glad to.” She said in a cheerful tone leaving me astounded.