will the wise

part two

school was over before lydia could even properly comprehend it and the only thing she wanted to do was go home and relax with mews and watch some tv and sleep until she forgot about her own existence. the heartbroken brunette had put on a front for the entirety of the day and tried her best to ignore the void of emptiness that had been following her around. but finally, she could climb into her car and take a breath of fresh air.

she walked to the door her headphones on while she was listening to her walkman and it was like she could finally breathe for first time all day. with her car in sight, lydia thought that she had successfully avoided her ex. until she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"lydia!" the brunette whipped her head around so fast that her headphones fell off and her heart almost broke at the sight of lawrie.

"no."

"but-"

"i said no."

"please just let me explain!" his pleas felt like daggers digging into her chest.

"explain what, lawrie? how you would've fucked my best friend if i didn't walk in on you? how you just shattered my heart into a billion pieces without any thought? any remorse? or would you like to explain how long you've been cheating on me with the only other person in the world who mattered to me? oh, or would you like to explain how it was all just a 'mistake' which by all means go ahead. i'd love to hear whatever bullshit could possibly spill out of your lying mouth," once she started, she couldn't stop. all the heartache and pain that had been bottled up for the past few days came out before she could even comprehend what she was saying. "you lost all rights to explain to me the moment you decided that you didn't want me anymore. i don't care if steph was a mistake. i don't care if you still love me. cause the bottom line is you obviously didn't love me enough to tell me the fucking truth! so quit the damn lies and get the hell out of here before i shove my fist so far down your lying mouth that you won't be able to tell another goddamn lie for the rest of your pathetic life!"

it was only when she reached the comfort of her own car that lydia broke down. but lawrie wasn't able to move his legs after the relentless verbal attack that had just been bestowed upon him. every word she said hurt. he felt as if his own heart and soul just walked out of his life and he was helpless to do anything about it, yet he knew it was his own fault.

~

"i'm home," drained. lydia henderson was drained. emotionally drained from the encounter with lawrie and physically drained from the facade that she had kept up all throughout the school day.

"hey babydoll, how was school?" mrs. henderson asked as she filled up mews cat bowl.

"long, boring, tiring. i just really need a nap right now." she admitted as she used the palms of her hands to rub her eyes to try and forget the encounter she had moments ago. "mews? baby? where are you pretty girl?"

"well, i have to run to the store real quick, can you make sure that mews eats?" her mom asked before giving her a gentle peck on the forehead.

a crashing sound from her room made her suspicious but the sound of her brother's hushed voice only raised her suspicions.

"also make sure your brother doesn't die." lydia assured her mother and sent her off to the store.

"shit, shit, shit, lydia is gonna kill me. what do i do? shit." she slid open the door to her room and saw her brother frantically pacing around with his back turned to her.

"dustin?" the younger henderson whipped his head around in complete fear at the sound of his sisters voice. he was royally screwed.

"oh hey, sis! what's up? i'm just chilling, you know? just doing what i do. being, chill. and, stuff. yeah. that's what i'm doing here." he babbled. this was it, he was done for.

"for starters, you are a terrible liar and it physically pains me to see such bad lying. secondly, what are you hiding and why the hell are you in my room?" she stood in the doorway with her hands on her hips waiting a response. her glare made dustin's brain feel like it was on fire from all the anxiety he was feeling. but, he knew that he would have to tell her the truth at some point.

"okay, okay. but you have to promise not to freak out alright? just promise me you won't lose it." he held his hands up in an attempt to prep her for the shock that she was about to experience.

"yeah, yeah, i'm sure that whatever you're gonna tell me will be fine just hurry up i wanna watch tv with mews." mews usually came running to the door everytime she heard it open so that she could greet lydia or mrs. henderson when they came home, so it was unusual for the cat to be missing this long.

"um, well, you see, what had happened was-" before dustin could finish his sentence the phone rang, interrupting lydia's minor interrogation.

"you're a lucky little bitch, you know that?" he laughed weakly and scratched the back of his neck nervously.

"hello?"

"hey lyds, it's me. can you do me a favor?" nancy's familiar voice came through the phone and lydia felt at ease.

"yeah of course, what is it?"

"well, i'm out of town right now and my mom doesn't know so if she asks can you tell her i'm at your house so she doesn't ask questions?" the girl pleaded.

"i mean yeah of course but why are you out of town? where'd you go?"

"i gotta go but i'll explain to you the second i get back i promise. love ya bye." and with that, the girl hung up, leaving her friend profusely confused. confused, lydia hung up the phone and went back to her room to begin interrogating her brother.

"alright squirt, time to 'fess up what'd you do." she stood in the doorway with her arms crossed so that he couldn't weasel his way out of this situation. this was it. he had to tell the truth.

"DART ATE OUR CAT."

"WHAT?"