The Covenant

"It is clear you inviting him here led to these actions."

"They took advantage of his extended absence."

"How long until he begins to blame you?"

"He cannot be trusted. He declared his loyalty but he has no reason to respect you, Alpha Leala," Mathis snaps, "he will blame you for the loss of his pack." My jaw clenches as Alpha Mathis shouts such words at me, declaring me to be the root of Eternal Shadows demise. "How long until he points the finger at you. What took so long to meet with the man you called here? To readjust for how you will now apply makeup?"

"Fuck off," I growl, slamming my fits on the table as I rise to my feet. "I called Alpha River here before I knew what came of my health. I woke up on morphine and aches in my body. Can you blame me for needing a recovery?"

"Yet everyday River stayed here, he asked to meet with you and you turned him down. He will blame you for extending his absence from Eternal Shadows."

I scowl at the alpha, his eyes glaring at me as we stare at one another across the long table where my fellow alphas meet. River has been trying to come to terms with the loss of his pack while you peruse about."

Holding my tongue, I watch as Mathis looks around the long table to the faces of Yusuf, Finch, and the men under them. Cedric and Brie sit at my side, lips pursed as their eyes scan the room. "River knew what leaving his pack meant when he knew the state of his pack's loyalty. River left Eternal Shadows to come to my aid - yes - but he knew what leaving his pack would mean when he was already suspicious of those with power within his own pack." Mathis sits back in his chair, looking to see if anyone else will argue me. "Now, River has sworn his allegiance to our cause. Though River no longer has a pack, he will be a valued member of this circle."

"He offers no army...not a single man," Finch mumbles, rolling his eyes. "He has no say if he offers our side no benefit."

"He has a say, Alpha Finch. He knows Keva and Asger better than anyone at this table. He offers valuable information. Does anyone else want to argue Alpha River's influence in this war?"

Yusuf looks up to me, my heartbeat skipping as I watch the alpha I trust the most at this table stand up against me. "Alpha River was once an enemy...members of Crimson Lock and others will be against the idea of an enemy - with no army - having a spot at this circle. You would be wise to keep him as a friend than an advisor for the sake of keeping your people at rest. The last thing you want is a revolt of some sort." I take in a deep breath, steading myself as I listen to Yusuf's words.

Mathis and Finch nod their heads, informing me the decision I must make.

Yusuf is right. I need to keep my pack and others on my side. Allowing River a spot at this sacred table would result in an uproar.

"Then what are we to tell our packs? That Alpha River is an ally?"

"Saying it like that suggests he has an army of men under him who now serve us. Picking our words carefully is important here," Mathis pipes in, watching me carefully as I take to my seat. "He is an ally now - yes - but he does not have a seat at this table."

"How will Alpha River take such word?"

"He is no longer an Alpha," Yusuf comments, glancing to me. "An Alpha requires a pack. He has no pack."

"Then how will River take this? That he has no formal role at this table?"

I swallow the lump in my throat, looking around the room as they wait for me to answer, wondering how River will respond. "I do not believe he will be happy..."