Chapter 61

When I arrive at the parking lot, Zack's truck is already there. Mia texted me the room number but I've only been here once and I can't remember which entrance is the right one.

Out of the corner of my eye, I recognize a broken light on the outside and run towards the nearest elevator to it. It's torture waiting for the elevator to come down and I'm about to just sprint up three floors when it pings and the door opens.

The second I'm out of the elevator, I hear shouting. Neighbors stand outside, peering towards the room at the end of the hall.

"You can all go inside," I tell them with the biggest smile I can muster, urging them into their rooms. "Don't worry everyone! Everything is fine!"

They start to scuffle back into their rooms and I make a beeline for the room.The door is unlocked and the second I open it, something flies at me. A vase hits the door by my head and glass shatters along the floor.

"Zack, get off him!" I yell.

His back is to me as he pins Marcus to the floor, swinging his fist across Marcus's face without stopping. The muscles in his arm flex with each hit, each one harder than the prior.

Marcus's hand snakes out to grasp Zack's shirt and flip him over, pressing his knee into Zack's chest. There's blood on the floor but I'm not sure whose it is.

Marcus starts to punch, shouting, "It's not that big of a deal!"

Zack shoves him. "She's my girlfriend!"

He knocks Marcus down again.

"It was just a fucking kiss!" Marcus shouts.

Zack grabs Marcus's collar, stopping his punches to look at him. "She didn't want it!"

"Get over it!" Marcus shouts. "I swear, you always get everything!"

"So what?! You had to hurt her?!"

"She fucking wanted it. That's why she dumped your ass!"

Marcus escapes and gets on top, grabbing a bottle from the floor and using it to punch Zack.

"Marcus, get off!" I shout, grabbing his waist.

We both fall to the floor and I feel a piece of glass lodge into my back. He rolls to the side and Zack gets up, coming over and hitting him again.

"Zack, get away from him," I warn. "Stop it!"

Marcus's body starts to go limp but Zack doesn't stop. He punches and punches until Marcus stops fighting back.

"Stop it, Zack!" I yell. He stops with his fist raised, staring down at Marcus and breathing heavily.

I run to the door and open it.

"Now!" I warn.

Zack stares down at Marcus. "If you ever see me again, you better start running."

Marcus laughs as Zack gets up, fuming, and storms out the door. I close the door behind us and we walk to the elevator in silence.

A/N: ty for reading :)