Stronger Together

It had been two hectic months since the night Kara returned from the fortress of solitude. Months of trying to find a way to keep both the love of her life and her unborn child. Months of late-night calls to Clark, to Barry, and anyone she thought could know anything about her dilemma. Sometimes she just called to talk about....well everything. She needed someone to talk to, she couldn't talk to Lena nor Alex about it.

Months of researching and searching for answers. She even started going through her notes and anything she could find at the fortress about humans. Her brilliance in science was now coming to good use, but even with that, she hadn't found a way. Yet.

Months of late nights at the fortress. Months of pain and agony and months of keeping secrets in the name of carrying the burden alone. Months of silence in the mornings and evenings.

Months of crying in the shower and in the middle of the night when Lena was deep asleep.

The Luthor had noticed a change in Kara's behavior and mood. She wasn't her usual happy self. Her smile didn't reach her eyes anymore. She didn't eat as much as she normally does, just like she didn't talk as much.

Sometimes she missed game nights using Supergirl emergency as her excuse. But deep down, she knew she couldn't stand being happy around everyone she loved when she couldn't find a way to save the two people she loved the most.

When Lena had asked whether everything was okay that morning, she had answered dismissively and left for work. Lena had kept calling but she didn't pick up. How could she pick up the phone knowing she could break any second?

How could she talk to her knowing what was inevitable? How could she look into her eyes and tell her she would be fine?

She couldn't.

She just couldn't.

So she turned off her phone and went through the alley to the fortress.

Hours later she decided to go home. She felt utterly depleted. Her brain was exhausted. She hadn't eaten in hours. She needed a shower and food and most importantly, she gravely needed a hug from the most incredible woman she loved.
*

"We need to talk" she heard Lena say the moment she stepped foot inside the house.

"Not now," she said as she went straight to the bathroom

"Yes now," Lena said as she grabbed her arm, Kara could have easily walked away but she didn't. "Okay, but can I take a shower first?" she asked looking at her in the eyes.

"Okay, one minute tops" Lena voiced as she sat down just outside the bathroom door.

Exactly 45 seconds after, the Kryptonian walked out to find Lena still sitting there. She pulled her up and kissed her hands.

"I need to tell you something," Kara said with so much hesitation in her voice, even her posture said everything about how she was feeling.

"Well it's about time you did" the Luthor was clearly frustrated by the sound of it, "you've been acting weird for months and you've been distant and I can't help but what wonder if it's me. Did I do something wrong? Don't you want to be with me anymore? Did you change your mind?" Lena was going on and on about every possibility that she could think of, but Kara couldn't take it anymore.

She took Lena's hand and put it to her chest, "I will never change my heart or my mind about being with you. I love you, Lena, I always will. But I need to tell you something else and I know it's hypocritical of me to ask you this because I did the same thing I'm asking you not to do. You have to promise me you won't shut me out, please?" 

"Tell me," Lena asked as she moved closer to her.

And so Kara did. She told her about what Kelex had said, about how she'd been trying to find a way out of the impossible dilemma. She told her about her nights at the fortress of solitude, about her midnight calls. About her long showers.

"Hey, hey, hey," Kara said as she quickly held onto Lena as she couldn't support her legs anymore. She could barely see, hot tears were cascading down her cheeks. She couldn't think at that point, but she could feel Kara. She always felt her and so she held onto her tightly without letting go. 

Kara didn't let go either, she held her in her arms and let her break down. She let her break because she knew Lena would survive it because she was strong and a fighter. 

"Did you find anything?" Lena asked her voice hoarsely.

"Not yet. But we'll find a way. Together." she replied as she pulled away to look into Lena's eyes. 

Lena didn't say anything but looked into Kara's eyes as well. She didn't know what to say nor what to do. She couldn't even begin to understand how Kara had been carrying any of it. Or how they would find a way out of it. So she did the only thing she could, she held onto Kara while she could.

"I love you. I love you. I love you" the Kryptonian chanted as she held her too.

"I know. I know because I love you so much, Kara" Lena said as she deeply and desperately Kissed the Kryptonian.

"What if we can't find a way?" Lena asked as she pulled away. You could hear and feel the fear in her voice.

"We will. We will find a way, Lena. We can do it" Kara said then continued, "I won't let anything happen to you and the baby. I won't," Kara said as she cupped Lena's cheeks.

"Tell me that again" Lena demanded as she looked into Kara's eyes

"You're mine Lena, and I will never let anything happen to you. I will never let you go. Never" the Kryptonian promised and vowed as she pulled Lena closer to her, placing the Luthor's head to her chest.

"I love you," Kara added as she embraced the Luthor tighter.

"Kara?" Lena called her name

"Mmh" Kara answered

"Take me to bed," she asked

And Kara did. She took her to bed.

A/N

Hey guys,

I'm sorry I haven't updated in ages. I hope you like this chapter.