Chapter 23 | "that just happened"

Renjun felt his heart stop as he stared at her, seeing the slightest quiver in her muscles as the King's angry gaze bore into her. He noticed that her sword and all her weapons were missing, his gaze darkening as he eyed the bruises on her face. Despite her nerves, Renjun was impressed by how composed she was, looking back at the king with an unwavering, unemotional stare.

"Park Miyeon," the King bellowed, his angered voice echoing throughout the room. "Do you know why I've brought you here today?"

"No, your majesty, I do not." She answered with an even tone.

"Really? Are you that stupid or just arrogant?" The King scoffed out, making Renjun clench his fists as he watched the interaction.

"Neither, sir, I genuinely don't know what I could've done wrong."

"I thought your grandfather would've taught you better, maybe he's just as pathetic and idiotic as you are."

Renjun's eyes widened at his father's words, seeing how Miyeon's whole body tensed up and her eyes darken.

"Do not disrespect him in that way. He's been a dutiful servant of the royal family for his whole life." Miyeon replied coldly, the slightest bit of controlled anger in her tone.

The King rose from his seat, anger sparking as he walked towards her.

"You want to tell me what to do? I am the King! Master Park is nothing to me, and neither are you."

He harshly yanked down her mask and slapped her across the face, the sound resonating around the room as her head jerked to the side from the force. The whole room let out a collective gasp at the action. Renjun tensed up, his eyes filling with anger as he tried to take a step forward, but Mark's arm shot out, the older boy shaking his head to him and forcing him back in line.

The King returned to his seat, smirking as he watched her touch her cheek with one hand. As she looked at her fingers, she saw her own blood against her pale skin, his ring cutting her cheek upon contact.

"Maybe now you'll know your place." He said with a cold smile. "Shall I tell you why you're here, then?"

"Yes, your majesty." She said quietly, her eyes now cast to the ground.

"You tried to seduce my son."

Both Renjun's and Miyeon's eyes instantly shot to the King, Miyeon's whole body frozen in shock. From the sides, Renjun couldn't believe what he was hearing, a quiet 'no' making its was past his lips.

"You poisoned his mind, weaseled your way in to try and steal his crown for your own selfish needs. One of my spys saw you two in the garden last night, sneaking off when my son is already engaged! All of this has been your plan to take power, hasn't it?" The King continued, his voice getting increasingly loud. "Why would my son even spare a glance at someone like you."

"I did no such thing-"

"Lies! All lies!" The King yelled out, pointing at her accusingly. "And for all of this, the lies and deceit, you shall be executed."

"No!"

Renjun pushed off the wall, breaking from his post and rushing to stand in front of Miyeon. He glared up at his father, a protective aura about him as he stood between her and the King.