Chapter 39

It was nighttime when they realized something was wrong.

They'd spent the entire day alone, chatting and getting to know the house they were staying in. They spoke about their past, and Esmeray told Hayley all about her experiences in Mystic Falls. They were joking by the time the sun set, but it was then that they had the feeling that something wasn't right.

"Elijah hasn't been here all day," said Hayley nervously as they moved around upstairs, looking for him. "What if something happened to him?"

"Maybe he didn't want to stay?" asked Esmeray, knowing Elijah must be feeling guilty about his obvious attraction to Hayley. "He didn't remain very long in the Mansion before. Living with Klaus can suck."

"Come now, love, it can't be that bad," came the hybrid's voice from behind them. "Oh, carry on, don't let me interrupt whatever fun game you're playing. Practicing for hide and seek when the child arrives?"

Esmeray rolled her eyes. "Actually, now that your ego has inflated itself all over again, we thought to look for a ruler to see how much smaller your dick has gotten as a result."

Klaus wiggled his eyebrows. "Oh, you saw it last night, love, I think you know it hasn't shrunk a bit."

Hayley snorted into her hand as Klaus walked away, delighted with leaving Esmeray flustered in his wake. "You saw his—?"

"I saw into his mind," she said quickly. "I did not look down his pants. It just comes with getting to see his memories."

Hayley made a choking sound. "Does that mean you saw—?"

"You two making this baby? Yes. Did I essentially burn that memory out of my mind? Also yes."

Hayley rubbed her forehead as she heard Klaus laughing downstairs. "Let's go back to talking about how small his dick is," suggested Hayley, which made Esmeray smirk. However, the wolf made a face to show that she disagreed with this statement, and gestured a specific length with her hands, making the werewitch turn beet red as she nodded, because this could be confirmed in Klaus's memories.

'I know,' Esmeray mouthed, fanning her face. Hayley winked at her, miming a motion that suggested that Klaus and Esmeray needed to hook up already, which made the hybrid scoff, motioning for them to walk back to Hayley's room and cease this conversation.

"By the way," Klaus called up. "Elijah's not coming back. You can quit your pitiful search."

"We'll stop searching the day you grow some balls," muttered Esmeray under her breath, though she knew perfectly well that Klaus had heard her.

"Watch that mouth of yours, love," he answered. "Don't make me punish you."

Esmeray's whole stomach did a flip this time, and Hayley couldn't suppress her laughter, though it was clear that she was bothered by the news that Elijah had left. "Let's just go back to your room," said Esmeray loudly.

But both women tensed at the sound of a car suddenly pulling up in the driveway, and stopped in their tracks. Hayley ducked into one of the nearest rooms and grabbed a poker from beside one of the fireplaces, though it looked more like a crowbar. Esmeray took the leading heading downstairs as the door swung open to reveal Rebekah Mikaelson.

"Who the hell are you?" demanded Hayley.

Rebekah nodded to Esmeray. "You there," she said to Hayley. "You're the maid, I presume? My bags are in the car— get them, will you?"

"Hello," said Hayley with a wry smile as Esmeray skipped down and pulled Rebekah into a hug. "Not the maid."

"Right," said Rebekah once she let go of Esmeray. "You're that werewolf girl my brother Klaus knocked up. I was expecting to see some kind of supernatural, miracle baby bump. Guess you're not showing yet. It's Hayley, isn't it?"