2

WARNING; there are mentions of a form of suicide in the last part of this chapter. Reader discretion is advised.

*

Nina found herself on the rooftop of an apartment building overlooking the Hydra headquarters Simmons worked at. This wasn't the first time, Nina had been on top of this building, but it was the first time where her primary aim was to kill someone and not look out for an oblivious scientist eating her lunch on the steps.

Nina hadn't had the chance to warn the Simmons that she'd been tasked with killing someone who worked in the building, and therefore the biochemist was sat in the same place she always was with a bagel in her hand, watching as people walked past.

It unnerved Nina slightly, she didn't love the idea of Simmons being there to witness one of her kills but it was unavoidable. Warning Simmons now would only result in her being the main suspect when Nina's target inevitably died.

The Executioner lay pressed against the rooftop with a rifle set up in front of her. She'd been posed to kill for a while and only now was her target leaving the building. Nina didn't remember his name, but his face was etched into her head from the file she'd received 5 hours ago.

She didn't know what he did to be on her kill list, Nina honestly didn't know what anyone she'd killed recently had done to deserve that fate. A few years ago that wouldn't have bothered her but lately, she found herself asking why every time she painted the streets red.

"Take the shot and breathe," Nina whispered as she trained her scope on the unexpecting man.

You're a good agent Nina but most importantly you are a good person.

He was tall with deep brown hair, the sun reflected off the Rolex on his left wrist and he was decked out in a black suit with a white dress shirt. All features that were irrelevant to her current task but things that were so loud in Nina's wandering mind.

"Take the shot and be."

You shouldn't expect anything less Miss Executioner.

Was he a father? Most people his age were but he was a high ranked Hydra agent so Nina wasn't sure. She wondered if he'd feel it, the moment the bullet passed through his skin, Nina could still feel the blade in her throat sometimes. Imposing and cold, she hadn't known her blades were so cold before.

"Death comes for us all."

Nina... I'm sorry...

Nina's hand tightened around the trigger, this man had a family. Nina understood that he might have a wife or a husband waiting for him back home. What she didn't understand was how he could kiss his lover goodbye every day and walk into that Hydra building to ruin the rest of the world. Maybe they were Hydra as well, maybe they were killers as well? The thought made Nina laughed dryly as she adjusted the rifle to compensate for the wind because who was she to judge.

"So take the shot and leave."

Bashful, I know she's pretty but now's not the time.

Nina closed her eyes briefly and took a deep breath, quieting the noise around her. When she opened her eyes, she pressed down on the trigger and right before she fired she had one final thought.

Would she be orphaning a son or a daughter?

Lie to me.

The gunfire caused Nina to groan in pain as the sound rocked her mind. She didn't pull her gaze away from the scope as sounds rushed around her, she could hear the flapping of wings as birds fled from the loud sound. She could hear the sound of items hitting the floor as pedestrians ran for shelter, she could hear Simmons and that soft gasp she'd grown used to.