𝐕𝐈.𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈

SHIELD

Steve swung the Mjolnir around as he ran towards Thanos, hitting him under the chin and sending him flying backwards. He threw the shield towards Thanos, which he expertly deflected.

Darla fired a blast towards the shield, causing a shockwave and making Thanos stumble. The couple nodded at each other before charging for Thanos. Steve kicked him in the face, whilst Darla kept sending shocks through his body.

Steve used the Mjolnir to send a channel of lighting towards Thanos. He watched as Darla's shoulder slouched limply, she was losing her power. He threw the Mjolnir towards her, which she caught and used to regain her powers before going to attack Thanos again.

Thanos gained the upper hand, using his blade to slice Steve's leg, causing him to hiss in pain and simultaneously distracted Darla. He then turned to Darla, who held the Mjolnir in her hand. Thanos let out a chuckle before taking it from her grip and throwing her back towards Steve.

The couple looked at each other longingly for a moment. Silently telling one another that no matter what happened, they were doing the right thing and that they loved one another deeply.

Thanos advanced towards the pair, causing Steve to lift up his shield to protect them, allowing Thanos' blade to go straight through it.

"Fuck. That's new." Darla uttered as she used the defence of the shield to her advantage and blasted Thanos. With every hit from Thanos' blade, the shield slowly broke into multiple pieces. He used the end of his blade to send the couple flying backwards.

"Baby?" Steve grabbed her hand tightly, as they laid on the ground. They were both exhausted. Their muscles ached and they felt like they couldn't go on. "I can't wait to marry you."

Darla chuckled with tears filling her eyes. Truthfully, she didn't know if they'd make it out of this fight alive. But she admired his optimism. The blonde girl nodded in response as they both slowly got up.

They weren't giving up now, one final battle and then they would retire and live a white picket fence kind of life that they promise one another.

"In all my years of conquest... violence... slaughter. It was never personal. But I'll tell you now what I'm about to do to your stubborn, annoying little planet." Thanos paused. "I'm gonna enjoy it. Very, very much."

Thanos summed in his army, causing Darla and Steve to look at one another. Tony, despite waking up was still out of it. Darla hoped that he was okay but she could only imagine he had fallen back unconscious. And Thor, well he was no where to be seen after Thanos kicked him.

Darla was determined to defeat Thanos. She would fight until her last dying breath if that's what it took. She watched as Steve tightened the strap on his broken shield and looked towards Darla with a smile. They walked forward, ready to take on Thanos and his army alone.

The blonde furrowed her brows once she heard the static over the comms. She sent a confused look to Steve, wondering if he heard it too. She let out a small chuckle once she heard Sam say,

"Hey, Cap, Mrs America, you read me?" There was a small silence. "Cap, it's Sam. Can you hear me?" There was another pause. "On your left."

The couple turned around to see portals opening, her eyes flickered around everyone as they exited the portals. A huge smile formed on her face when she saw the people who were like her family once again.

Steve turned around and faced her with a grin, he tightly grabbed her waist and connected their lips. It was only brief and he didn't care if he was in middle of a battle, he just needed to do it for what might have been the last time.

Darla melted into the kiss, her heart skipped a few beats as she pulled away. She nodded, knowing exactly what he was trying to say.

"I love you too, Captain." She lightly tapped his chest before turning and looking at everyone. She couldn't believe that they were all back.

She instantly noticed Wanda, she could see how upset and angered she was. All Darla wanted to do was go and comfort her. But now wasn't the right time. After all this was over, she would explain to her where Vision was.

Steve linked his hand with Darla's as they turned back to face Thanos, he let out a deep breath before shouting,

"Avengers." He paused as their army surrounded him. He grabbed Mjolnir and nodded. "Assemble."