Chapter 26

Bella and Edward were gone to Phoenix, and I told Charlie that I would have a sleepover with Alice. He did wonder why I didn't go with Bella to see Renée. But I told him that I hated the sun and I thought Bella could use some alone time with her mom.

We were waiting in the forest and my eyes were glowing, even Lewis was there to help. I had gotten used to his feeling.
"Emma, can you sense her?" asked Jasper and I held his hand.

"Not yet, but I can sense the wolves at the other side of the river. If she crosses, they'll handle her" I said and he nodded.
Lewis stood next to Alice, who was looking out for Victoria's vision.

"Are you sure this is where you saw her?" asked Carlisle.
"She's almost here" I said and they all looked at me. "I can sense her... on your left!" I shouted and Jasper's hand left mine. He was faster than me so I ran behind the Cullens.

I saw her red hair, she was fast. But Emmett caught up to her, but she threw him against a tree.
She jumped over the river, to the wolves territory.
I stopped Lewis from jumping. "Don't, she's in their territory" I said and he nodded, Alice had explained the treaty.

"She'll get away!" shouted Esme when we ran on our territory, following her if she would jump back.
"No, she won't!" shouted Jasper and ran faster.
The wolves were closely on her tail.

"She'll jump over again!" I shouted and she did exactly what I predicted.
She jumped in the trees and Jasper followed her, but he missed her by a hair, and he fell hard on the ground.

"Jasper!" I shouted, but he had gotten up by the time I got to him.
"I'm fine!" he said and we ran after Victoria.
But she jumped over again, but this time Emmett was following her too closely.

"Emmett, no!" shouted Rosalie, but he jumped over and Paul got him.
They were growling at each other in the river.
"Emma!" shouted Jasper when I jumped down in the river and stood between Emmett and Jasper. I was the only one allowed on their territory.

"Both of you, calm down" I said and I sensed Victoria getting away. "Shit. She's gone"
I looked at Emmett. "Get back, now" I said and he listened and I turned to Paul. "Stop growling at me. It was just a misunderstanding. Let it go"
Paul stepped back reluctantly and I went back to the side of the Cullens, where Jasper was waiting for me.

~

I took a shower and when I came back, Jasper was waiting for me.
"We'll get her next time" I said and touched his arm.
"I almost had her" he said.
"We'll get her" I said and touched his face. "Don't get yourself down now"
"I won't" he said and kissed the palm of my hand.

Bella came back from her weekend in Phoenix, but when she found out about us not telling her. She was really mad...
And to make matters worse, she skipped school and went to Jacob for an entire day. Making Edward extra cranky...

It was almost time for graduation, only one month left.
"So, how is Lewis handling the new diet?" I asked Alice during lunch.
"He's doing great. He's getting used to it" she said happily.

"I'm really happy for you" I said and she smiled.
"Thank you, I can't wait to plan your wedding though" she said and I blushed.
"What are you talking about?" I asked and she looked over at Jasper who was getting me something to eat.

"Well, not now. But soon" she said and winked.
"Alice... we've only been dating for like 4 months or so" I said and she chuckled.

"Well, he's been waiting for you for years, Emma. He'll never love anyone like he loves you. You two belong together. It doesn't matter how long you've been dating. I mean, do you love him?" she asked.
"Of course I do" I said immeadiatly.

"Well, then what's the problem?" she said and I sighed.
"What I mean is, this is my first real relationship, Alice. And I'm still getting used to the idea that I won't age anymore, that I have these powers. I know I'll always be with Jasper, but I don't want to rush things" I whispered and she nodded.

"I understand. But just between you and me" she whispered. "If he proposed, would you say yes or no?"
"I would say yes, of course" I said and she smiled. "You are so mean sometimes"

~

I stayed for dinner at the Cullens, but when I wanted to put my plate away. I sensed a new vampire... I dropped my plate.
'He's in the house... Charlie...'

Lewis stood in front of me and touched my shoulders.
"Charlie" I whispered and I looked into Lewis his eyes, they were still red but they were beginning to change into golden eyes.

"Emma? What's wrong? We heard the plate fall" said Jasper and touched my face.
"There's a vampire in my house" I whispered. "Charlie is there alone"

"Lewis, stay here with Emma" said Jasper to Lewis, and Lewis nodded. "Darling, you stay here. I'll go check it out with Emmett. I'll be right back" he kissed my forehead and he left.
Alice touched my shoulder and sat me down on the couch.

Soon Bella and Edward came home.
"Bells? Charlie? Is he okay?" I asked and hugged her.
"Yes, he's fine. The vampire didn't hurt him. Jasper and Emmett are tracking the scent" she said and hugged me back.

I sat back down and the rest of the family gathered.
"Who is it? Someone we know?" asked Carlisle.
"I didn't recognise the feeling" I said.
"This stranger, I didn't recognize his scent" said Edward.

"A nomad passing through?" asked Esme.
"A passer-by wouldn't have left Bella's father alive" said Rosalie.
Jasper and Emmett came back and Jasper laid his hands on my shoulders, to calm me down a bit. I didn't like it that someone had been in my home, where Charlie, who had been like a father to me was.

"The scent disappeared about five miles south of Bella's and Emma's house" said Jasper.
"Someone's orchestrating this" said Carlisle.
"Victoria?" asked Bella.

"I would have seen her decide" said Alice.
"Has to be the Volturi" said Edward.
"I don't think it's the Volturi, either. I've been watching Aro's decisions too" said Alice.

"So we keep looking" said Emmett.
"We'll also take shifts guarding Bella and Emma at their house" said Carlisle.
"Another protection detail?" said Rosalie.

"Rosalie" said Carlisle.
"No, she's right" I said.
"You can't protect me and Emma" began Bella.

"Not that I need protection" I whispered, but Jasper squeezed my shoulders to shut me up.
"Watch my dad and search for the intruder" finished Bella.
"And for Victoria" said Rosalie.

"And keep yourselves fed" I said.
"I'm not leaving you here defenceless" said Edward.
'I feel so personally attacked, like I am not able to protect Bella'

"Well I'm not gonna let you starve" said Bella. "And I wouldn't be unprotected. I have Emma and..."
"What?" said Edward.
"The wolves" I said. "I could ask the wolves"