Chapter 27

Jacob came to sniff out the strangers scent at our house. He had been in my room as well...
"Whoever it was, he left his stink behind" said Jacob. Edward stood outside the house, he didn't trust Jacob. "It'll be hard to miss when we cross it again. We'll handle it from here"

"We don't need you to handle anything or anyone" said Edward and I looked angry at him.
"I could care less what you need" said Jacob.
"All right, we're done here" said Edward.

"No, you're done here" said Jacob.
"Stop!" shouted Bella. "I'm tired of this. From now on, I'm Switzerland, okay?"
I chuckled and walked back inside, I was so done with the drama.

Every day, the Cullens and the wolves at least tried to work together. The wolves took over when the Cullens needed to hunt.
Jasper was gone most of the time, and he didn't let me help as much as I wanted.

So most nights, I was alone again.
I stayed up late, since I noticed I only needed two hours of sleep these days.
Bella was in a bigger danger than me, so she often stayed with the wolves so Edward could hunt.
While I always stayed with the Cullens.

One night, I sensed Victoria again and Jasper and I went to check it out together with Alice and Lewis.
"Do you sense her?" asked Jasper and I closed my eyes so I could focus.
"She's going away again... on the right" I said and we began to run.

I saw Victoria's red hair, but she was faster than me. And she got away again.
"Damn it" I said and Jasper took me in his arms. "I hate this. I just want us to go back to normal"
"I know, darling" he whispered and kissed my hair. "Come on, I'll take you home, before Charlie notices that you're gone"

"Will you stay with me tonight?" I asked him and he nodded.
"I know we haven't been spending much time together lately" he said and I kissed his lips.
"That's not your fault" I whispered and he kissed me softly back.

"Emma" he suddenly said and he touched my face. "When we're graduated. What do you think about living together? Just you and me, in a little home. You having your own room to make art" he whispered and I smiled.

"That does sound perfect" I said and my eyes began to glow.
'Seattle, people dying...' I closed my eyes and they stopped glowing.
"I would love to live with you when we graduate" I said and he smiled.

~

The next day, Seattle was on the news again. It was about the feeling I had the night before.
I sat on the edge of the couch and Jasper's hand was on my leg.
"Seattle is in a state of terror. Police are baffled by the escalating murders and disappearances. Theories range from a vicious new gang to a wildly active serial killer. Reporting live..." said the news lady when Carlisle turned it off.

"It's getting worse. We're going to have to do something" he said.
"Every day, more people are getting brutally murdered in Seattle" I whispered, I could feel them die, it wasn't easy not to overwhelm myself.

"It takes more than one of our kind to cause the damage they're reporting" said Jasper. "Quite a few more. And they're undisciplined, conspicuous"
"It's newborns" said Edward.

I laid my hand around Jasper's shoulder and he looked up at me with his golden eyes.
"What, like new vampires?" asked Bella.
"In the first few months after the change" said Edward.

"That's when we're at our most uncontrollable. Vicious. Insane with thirst" said Jasper.
"Something to look forward to" said Emmett.
"No one's trained these newborns, but this isn't random" said Jasper.

"Someone's creating an army" said Carlisle.
'Jasper has been in a situation like this before, when he first turned. When Maria turned him...'
"Well, now we're definitely going to Seattle" said Emmett.

"An army of vampires?" said Bella.
"And they've been created to fight someone" said Jasper.
"We're the only clan even close to Seattle" said Edward.

"Regardless of why they were made, if we don't put a stop to them, the Volturi will" said Carlisle. "I'm surprised they've let it go on this long"
"Maybe they're behind it" said Edward. "In Italy, I read Aro's mind. He wants me, Alice and Emma to join him, but he knows we'll never choose him as long as our family's still alive"

'He wants me to join him? First I'm hearing about this...'
"An army could solve that for him" said Jasper and I felt him tense up.
I took his hand and intertwined our fingers. I knew he was worried about me, but I just wished he trusted me a bit more, I could protect myself.

~

One evening Bella and I found Charlie looking over the missing person's poster of Riley Biers. He went missing a year ago...
"Hey" said Bella. "Did you eat dinner yet?"

"Uh, no, I haven't" said Charlie and he sighed. "This kid, Riley Biers, disappeared over a year ago, and his poor parents have been papering Seattle with these things ever since"
"You think they should just give up?" asked Bella.

I focussed on Riley's face, but I could only sense death. He was long gone...
"Well, I wouldn't if it were either of you" said Charlie. "Not ever"

I smiled, I was happy to know that Charlie considered me part of the family.
But it also made me realise that one day I would have to leave this family, since I won't age anymore...

~

"Emma, are you okay?" Jasper asked when he sensed my sadness.
"Not really" I sighed and snuggled into his chest. "I was just realising something"
"What?" he asked.

"That one day I would have to leave this family. I won't age anymore, people will find that strange" I sighed. "I guess it's starting to hit me, that's all"
"I know it's hard, darling. But, in a few decades everyone you know will be gone" he said and I nodded.

"I know, doesn't make it easier" I said and he kissed my hair.
"I have found a nice little house for us. It's close to the woods, not too big" he whispered and I smiled.
"Room for a dog?" I asked and he chuckled.
"Yes, darling. Room for a dog" he whispered. "Now, try to get some sleep. I promise I won't go away"