Season 2 ~ A Trip to the Tunnels

Pressing my foot on the gas petal, increasing the speed since no one was driving on the road at two in the morning, I hear a soft groan come from the backseat, assuming it was Steve waking up. Looking into the rear view mirror, my theory was proven as Dustin adjusts the ice pack on his head.

"Nancy?" I hear him mumble, turning over I see him facing Mike.

"No," Dustin softly tells Steve while grabbing his wrist so he doesn't touch his bruised face. "don't touch it."

"(Y/n)?" Steve mumbled softly as he looks at Dustin.

"Hey, buddy... shhhh." Dustin says, hiding a laugh. "It's okay. You put up a good fight. He kicked your ass, but you put up a good fight."

"That's one way to reassure someone." I mumble, focusing on the road ahead of me.

"Okay," Lucas says, navigating me. "you're going to keep straight forward a half a mile, then make a left on Mount Sinai."

"What's going on?" Steve asks, slowly regaining consciousness. "Oh, my god!"

"Steve," Dustin says. "Just relax."

"Oh, my god!"

"They we're going to leave you behind." Max continued from the seat next to Dustin.

"Oh, my god!"

"(Y/n) and I promised you'd be cool, okay?"

"Woah, woah, woah, woah." Steve asks as I increase speed. "What's going on? Oh, my god. No! Woah! Stop the car. Slow down."

"I told you he'd freak out." Mike argues.

"Stop the car!"

"Everybody shut up!" I shout. "I'm trying to focus!"

"Oh, wait," Lucas grabs my attention. "that's Mount Sinai. Make a left."

"What?" I say, my eyes widening.

"Make a left."

Yanking the wheel to the left, the car turns, causing everyone in the car to scream, including Lucas and I.

I make my way into the pumpkin patch, halting the car right in front of a giant hole, assuming it was the one above the tunnels that Hopper had told us he dug.

"Oh, hello!" Steve shouts, gripping the chairs.

"Woah!" Max cries.

"Incredible." Mike mumbles.

"That wasn't so bad," I say, taking the key out of the ignition. "Was it?"

We all rush out of the car, grabbing the supplies we needed to make our way down the tunnels.

I hand the bandanas to everyone, wrapping them over our mouths and pulling out the container of goggles, placing them over our eyes, Steve still rolling out of the car.

"Guys..." Steve weakly says as he leans against the car. "Oh, no. Guys. Hey, where do you think your going?"

Mike walks in front of the car, attaching the rope to the tire and pulling it down into the tunnels so we know where to escape, Max and Lucas following him close behind.

"What are you, deaf? Hello? We are not going down there right now. I made myself clear."

Steve makes his way over to the trunk where Dustin and I were tightening the bandanas over our noses and putting out backpacks on.

"This ends right now!"

"Steve," I say, gently tugging him back to face me. "you're upset, I get it. But the bottom line is, a party member requires assistance, and it is our duty to provide that assistance. Just keep us safe."