Chapter 28 - Old Saying

"Never in a hundred years would I have guessed that this would happen," Erik sighed, looking up the building. Fenris grinned as he took in the Chinese restaurant.

"That we wouldn't work for the best-paying client or that we need to make amends with a wizard?" he asked.

"Neither, to be honest," Erik exhaled. They entered the building and quickly walked towards the kitchen. They passed various cooks, who prepared dishes in woks over an open fire, the air filled with exotic flavours.

Fenris grabbed a small cup of rice wine from a counter, taking a sip before offering it to Erik, who swatted his hand away. He was busy scanning the room until his eyes fell on a woman with black hair, marching their way.

"Harmony, the sun of my life," Erik smirked as she came closer. Fenris watched her closely, quickly noticing her clenched fist and pursed lips. She stopped in front of them and inhaled.

"You better keep your mouth shut and think about a way to pay me for controlling whoever this cape-freak in the backroom is, dear," she snapped, wiping her hands with a cloth. Erik's face fell and he nodded with a serious expression.

"You're right, Harmony. As usual."

She rolled her eyes and yelled towards a young cook before turning around. Fenris looked at Erik, whose face had slightly blushed. "She kicked your ass. Hard."

Erik kept his lips pressed together as Fenris laughed. They entered a small room. The only light came from a bare light bulb that conducted a faint glimmer. Strange sat onto a chair, his arms propped up onto its leans. His eyes were closed, and a faint green shimmer surrounded him. Around the chair was a circle of chalk painted onto the floor, decorated with weird-looking signs.

Whenever Strange's green shimmer tried to bound over the circle, the signs began to pulsate in red light. Harmony stopped at the door frame, letting Fenris and Erik farther into the room. Suddenly, Strange's eyes opened and narrowed at the two Harlovsens, a disgusted look appearing on his face.

"Devious," he exhaled.

"Necessary," Fenris answered.

Strange tried to stand up but struggled against a transparent barrier that held him inside the circle. Erik turned towards Harmony and raised an eyebrow.

"Barrier spell," she clicked her tongue.

"Remember me to raise your payment," Erik said in awe. Fenris send him a look before he stepped closer to the circle.

"We're here to make amends, Mister Strange," Fenris said, slurring a chair to Strange's opposite to take a seat.

"It's Doctor Strange," he answered coldly, his cape puffing.

"Alright. Doctor Strange. We're sorry for drugging and stealing from you, but you wouldn't have given us the time-stone voluntarily," Fenris reasoned, crossing his hands.

"That's right. I wouldn't have given it to you - for good reason if I may add because I don't see neither the stone nor your sister." Strange's lips turned into a thin line as Fenris nodded.

"The stone is with Loki. That's a fact. But we're working on a plan to get it back to return it to you. That's what we promised - and we keep our promises."

Strange snorted, narrowing his eyes. "You all think you could make amends with saying sorry and 'give me your word' that you would return the stone. You don't seem to understand the severity of your actions, Harlovsen. Giving Loki the stone is like pumping H.Y.D.R.A-soldier-serum into the Hulk before throwing him into a nuclear power plant. With this stone, Loki can change the time for his better, alternate the past, present and future. If he wanted to, he could murder your parents before you were even born. He could erase humanity with a snip of his finger if you will."

Fenris swallowed and nodded. "I know that, and I understand your atrocities against us, Doctor, but know is not the time to sulk. All I ask of you is to have a bit more patience until we get the opportunity to procure what is rightfully yours."

"The Wong-guy is good, by the way. There was no need to cage him the way we did enclose you," Erik added, stepping forward.

Strange closed his eyes, deeply inhaling. "This is not what should have happened. It was not supposed to go this way. Still, there is a chance to make it work if you keep your promise, Harlovsen."

"That means yes?" Erik asked.

"Let me out of this..." Strange impatiently motioned towards the circle made of chalk signs. Fenris shortly hesitated before he nodded towards Harmony. She went towards a cupboard and pulled out a little stone bowl filled with a yellow powder. Inhaling deeply, she approached the circle and closed her eyes. Digging into the bowl, she poured a handful of the powder in front of her. Harmony started voicing words in a humming tone. Erik tried to listen, but it seemed to be a foreign language he hadn't heard before.

The circle began to glow while the powders dust levitated into the air. Harmony raised her arms, and her voice grew as the damp light in the room started to flicker.

"Creepy," Fenris muttered. He'd heard of people with abilities like that before, but seeing it was a whole other thing.

How much had the world changed during the last 70 years. Fenris remembered the day he and his siblings had finally managed to leave the H.Y.D.R.A base about ten years ago. It was one of his first days out of mind control, and it had been hard for him, to concentrate on the happenings. For Fenris, it had been more challenging than for the other ones to disentangle his mind. That was one reason he'd decided to stay in the headquarters and focus on learning how to hack systems, being the mind behind the scenes. The fear of becoming the mindless man again still hunted his dreams.

Harmony lowered her arms, and the dust slowly fell to the ground. Strange stepped out of the circle. He sent Harmony a miffed glare while his cape shuddered, shaking the dust off. Erik stretched out his hand to shake Strange's, but the coat slapped it away as the magician left the room.

"Thanks, Harmony. Would you send all the payment information to Magnus? He'll take care of it," Erik sighed, smiling at the small woman.

"Next time you want me to imprison a magician, an advance warning would be adequate, Erik. And you should not spend so much time with that woman. I can literally feel her aura around you." Harmony shuddered and went back into the kitchen, yelling something incomprehensible towards a young cook, who quickly nodded. Fenris snorted, passing his cousin not without prodding his shoulder.

"You all behave like children, herregud," Erik hissed, walking through another door and the attached restaurant.

"Wait," a voice demanded.

Fenris turned around and saw Harmony placing a few bags on the counter. "Never decide important things hungrily. An old saying - from me."

"You're a goddess, Harmony," Erik sighed, taking the bags with a wink.

"Leave already. Before I make you, Harlovsen." A faint smile hushed over her face as she went back into the kitchen.