Chapter 85: Tug

NOT PROOFREAD

Hyunjin gasped for air when he felt a sharp pain stabbing his stomach. He automatically threw the blanket, that had covered him, off himself, looking at his abdomen with quick breaths. There was nothing, no blood and the pain dulled to the point he could barely feel it. He was just staring at his with cloths covered stomach. The siren laid a shaky hand onto the spot had hurt just a moment prior, but not even the touch reactivated the sharp pain that had ripped him out of his sleep.

"Hyung? Everything alright?", a tired voice attracted the siren's attention, letting the tall male take in his surroundings more. He was in the room that Changbin, Minho, Felix and Jisung shared at the NCT headquarter. Everything was still dark, indicating that it was either late, or very early in the morning. Currently he was sitting in Changbin's upper bunk bed, the top of his head not far from the ceiling.

The young male let a breath escape him in order to calm his racing heart and looked into the direction of the voice that had called for him. He already knew that it was Jeongin who he had probably woken up with his sudden awakening.

"Sorry, Innie. I didn't mean to wake you", the siren apologized, searching for Jeongin in the pitch black room. He couldn't see the other, but heard the younger male hum in acknowledgment to his previous statement, followed by the sound of a bed screeching. A view quiet seconds past before his bunk bed moving a little bit when Jeongin made his way up the ladder. As a kitsune, Jeongin's eye sight was better than Hyunjin's in the dark, which the siren always envied.

"I wasn't really asleep anyway", the kitsune simply stated when he plopped down next to Hyunjin on the bed only to let out a little surprised yelp in the same second. It got a little chuckle out of the siren despite not seeing what had happened to the other. It was an almost automatic reaction.

"What the hell? Why is there an ancient book? Wait ... Isn't that the book of vampires?", Jeongin asked in mild confusion. The little chuckle died in Hyunjin's throat when he was reminded of the ancient artifact that Changbin had given him for safekeeping. Almost instinctively, Hyunjin reached his hand to the side where he thought the book and Jeongin to be. He quickly grabbed the old book when his fingers brushed the leather cover, pulling it out from under Jeongin and clutching to his chest.

Changbin trusted him with keeping this book save and he was already doing a miserable job. He held the book tighter to his chest while the memory of Changbin giving it to him flooded his mind. It hadn't been long after Seungmin had left to go home to sleep before the rescue mission that Changbin had pulled out the ancient book. Hyunjin had seen how conflicted the vampire had been for a moment before he had held the artifact out to the siren with a certain determination in his eyes. He had asked Hyunjin to keep the book of vampires save at all costs because it could be key to winning the war against the hunters.

Hyunjin still couldn't believe that Changbin had trusted him with such an important task, but he had sworn to himself to do his best the second he had taken the book out of Changbin's grip. He only faintly remember him and Changbin returning to this room, but he knew that he had fallen asleep with Changbin beside him and the book clutched to his chest.

"Changbin-hyung gave me the task of keeping it save while he's on the rescue mission", Hyunjin explained to his younger cousin, looking to the spot where he could faintly see the outlines of Jeongin. The kitsune didn't answer for a moment, but Hyunjin could feel the other's gaze on him and once again envied the other's ability to see better in the dark than him.
"Then maybe don't keep it in Changbin-hyung's bed and try to hide it from view", Jeongin nonchalantly commented and the shuffling sound beside Hyunjin told the siren that his cousin had settled down now. At first, Hyunjin wanted to scoff at his cousin and repeat how he had to guard it at all times, but then he realized that what the younger said did make a bit of sense. Only a bit.