Chapter 40

Esmeray and Hayley were left alone again.

Rebekah had gone to talk to Marcel so that she could retrieve Elijah, and Klaus had run off for another errand, leaving the vampire bodies burning and the living one in the basement, being drained of blood.

"How about we do our first check up?" asked Esmeray when Hayley went to lay on her bed. "I'm not actually trained medically, so this magic is really only going to let me understand the baby's vitals without any terminology... but I will be able to know if the baby is okay or not."

Hayley nodded, pulling up her shirt for Esmeray. The hybrid let her hands glide over the surface and concentrated before whispering a few words, emitting a blue light that hovered over Hayley's belly. There was the sound of a rapid, echoing heartbeat, and Esmeray smiled. "Perfectly healthy," she said. "The baby's heart is as strong as it needs to be, for a little tribrid. It's comfortable and doesn't appear to be at any risk."

"Thank you," said Hayley, giving her a curious look as she stepped away. "How is it that you can like someone like Klaus? You two are so different."

Esmeray smiled. "We really aren't. He's... difficult. But under that violent exterior is a passionate artist who just wants to keep his family safe. He's not good at showing affection, but he feels it."

"You said that in real time, you're only five years apart. Do you think you two would have been together if you met earlier?"

"Maybe. My father respected Klaus's father quite a bit. He would have liked the alliance that would come from that, if he wasn't so focused on keeping our lines pure. I imagine Klaus wouldn't have noticed me in the slightest if we actually lived in the same village. The girl he was with at the time was far closer to his age than I was. I expect he might have seen me as immature. But otherwise... I do think that we probably could have been a power couple put together for the sake of our Packs."

"Do you think you two will be together in the future? If I am... keeping this kid... I'd rather he has someone who's going to make sure he treats it right. I can only do so much as the mother when I'm not also his partner."

"Listen, I think Klaus can be a perfectly good father without needing my help. He would never treat that kid the way his father— well, stepfather— treated him. Don't worry about that. Will he make questionable parenting decisions? Definitely. I can be there to advise for that."

Hayley was stuck thinking of potential 'questionable parenting decisions' after Esmeray left the room. Even when the two women heard Klaus return, they were wondering along the same lines: how would he really react once the baby was born?

"Good morning," said Esmeray when daylight arrived and she was making breakfast for herself and Hayley. "You're up early."

"I never went to bed, love," said Klaus, coming to lean on the counter. "I had to put several things and people in line."

"As long as you're not bringing Marcel crashing through these doors, I think it should be fine."

"Speaking of Marcel, I think it's time you meet him."

"What? But he sent vampires to kill me, Klaus. If he knows I'm helping you—"

"He'll think twice before crossing us all, won't he? He'll regret what he did. He could have benefitted from having one of the hybrids on his side. I'll let you point out which vampires were at the Bayou that day and perhaps, you can knock them around a bit to give Marcel a taste of your power."

Esmeray didn't get to reply, because Rebekah burst through the front door, looking livid. "You were right," she said as soon as she saw Klaus. "The girl, Cami— she's the key. Marcel likes her, and because of that I got to see the secret weapon of his that you've been going on about."