Twenty Six

"Good morning!" Jocelyn smiled brightly as she entered Hope Journey care facility.

As such that Miles' condition was so rare, they'd agreed to moving him into a care facility sooner so that his journey could be studied and used for future cases.

At first he protested the idea, claiming he wanted in home care with Jocelyn but as they discussed the issue further he realized he could help people even through his death. It was a change they both had to adjust to but his money afforded him the best facility in the country.

"Hello, Ms. Major! Don't you look lovely." Lisa smiled brightly as she began logging Jocelyn's visit.

"Thank you." She smiled as she pulled at the bright yellow sundress. It was always on her mind to keep her appearance bright and happy for Miles.

"Alrighty, you're all set to head back but beware he has other guests." The woman smiled as Jocelyn was passed a visitor badge.

"Guests?" She muttered to herself as she stepped on to the elevator. Miles hardly liked anyone outside of her father and even he called Jocelyn before visiting.

"Morning." Jocelyn smiled to the horde of nurses who took the elevator down as she got off. Navigating her way to Miles' quarters, she knocked on the door.

"Wait a moment."
"Come in!"

A mess of voices spoke differing commands. Jocelyn knew if anyone was free to enter the space at any time, it'd be her.

Pushing the door open, she set her purse down on the ledge and kicked her sandals off. Making her way further into the living space, she noticed Miles sitting on the couch with his head in his hands.

Two elderly people sat opposite him on the recliners they'd moved in yesterday. Immediately it clicked in her mind that they were his parents. He shared a striking resemblance to his father while his mother held dark brown eyes and Roman features.

"Hello." She spoke as she placed a smile on her face. "I'm Jocelyn Major."

"You don't have to speak to them. How are you?" Miles slowly stood from the couch and Jocelyn met him halfway to wrap her arm around his waist.

"I'm okay. How's the leg?" They'd been unable to regain motor control of his left leg as they had his left arm.

"Wish they'd cut the thing off already." He shook his head before kissing her softly.

"If they do, imma ask them can I keep it." They shared a laugh at the statement before he kissed her once more.

It had taken Jocelyn longer to come to accept that death was around the corner, but once she did they seemed to get back to where they were when they'd first met. They shared their grief through morbid jokes and unabashed intimacy.

"Excuse me. Could you give us a second with our son?" His mother spoke interrupting the pair.

"Whatever needs to be said can be said in front of Jocelyn. She's gonna be my wife soon." Miles smiled as he pulled her to sit next to him.

They'd talked about eloping within the next couple days but Jocelyn protested. She didn't want to marry him that way, even if he was dying soon, so she'd been working with the nurses to schedule something.

"Oh, please. What is this some last ditch effort to spite your parents? Miles, you're not thinking clearly." His father spoke up.

Jocelyn knew they'd been trying to get Miles to change his mind about disinheriting them. She'd often walk in on their heated phone calls. It was no wonder Miles hadn't introduced them sooner- the pair were insufferable. More concerned with their son's assets than his prognosis.