Chapter 40 - What Now?

Trigger Warning! Blood and Violence. 

Asher opened his mouth in protest, then clamped it shut, knowing that that would be a bad idea. If he spoke now, he'd alert the two to the fact that he was alive, which was the only stipulation Leon had in this arrangement.

As long as he had no proof that Asher was alive, Leon had no reason to go through with the marriage.

"Really? That's all it took to convince you? My goodness! If I knew you were capable of actually liking anyone I would have brought my own guests to befriend you." She laughed, then stopped. "Of course finding people I approved of would have been a hassle. Then threatening to torture them, killing them...Oh it would have been too much work." Asher turned down the hall, blocking out their words now as he wrapped his head around the situation.

He had to stay hidden. That was a must, but what good would that do? He couldn't stay hidden forever, because the invasion could happen any day now.

The invasion!

An idea sparked in the servant's head and he hurried back to one of the exit panels. Carefully he peeked out through the crack, making sure there were no gargoyles around before climbing out and sneaking down towards Elise's old room.

Slowly he closed the door, then jumped about six feet when he found Laurent crouching behind it with an ornate dagger pointed at him.

"Laurent! What are you doing?" He whispered briskly, backing away with eyes focused on the weapon he had gifted the kid.

The boy's eyes grew wide when he realized it was Asher, and he quickly but the dagger away.

The servant sighed, relieved that the kid hadn't been killed. Go figure that the two survivors Ebony mentioned were the servants who hadn't bothered to fight. It made sense for Laurent to hide away from the chaos, though it was unfortunate that he hadn't made it to the teleportation circle in time, because things were still dangerous for him here.

"Come with me." He gestured for the boy to follow, then tiptoed over to the birdcage.

The pigeon continued to snooze while Asher searched the nearby drawers for a piece of paper, then grabbed a quill to write out something. He thought carefully on what words to use since he was limited to a short letter.

The most important information that he had to relay was that the Lumley family was an enemy to the kingdom and were plotting with the invaders. He made sure to note that Leon was not sick, and that the Lumley family had planned to assassinate him instead under the disguise of illness. He also threw in that there was a witch keeping him trapped in the castle and requested sorcerers, not that it would help much.

If this letter reached anyone in time, they still wouldn't be able to come help since the castle was magically hidden. Asher would have to escape in order to lead them back here, and even then, the gargoyles were going to be a problem.

From what he knew thanks to his time working as a delivery boy, this letter would go to the village postmaster first. All he had to do was put "Open immediately" on the outside and the postmaster would know he was allowed to read it.

Folding the paper as tiny as possible, he struggled getting it around the bird's leg as it flapped in protest, unhappy with being manhandled.

Laurent finally stepped up, taking the note from Asher and tying it expertly around the bird's leg. He then opened the window and tossed it.

A few of the gargoyles took notice of the bird, but being made of stone, they could not fly after it. Instead, they turned and headed towards the window.