55│I TAKE THEE... RACHEL

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

Joey was clinging onto Veronica's hand like a scared child as they walked into the rehearsal dinner. After calling Phoebe to check in on the chick and the duck, he started feeling homesick. He wasn't enjoying London anymore and he wanted to go home. Now.

"Look, Joey, food," Veronica pointed excitedly to a waiter passing them, "You love food, that'll make you feel better. And the champagne will make me feel better."

Veronica grabbed two champagne flutes from a waiter and downed them one after the other. She was nervous. She'd found out yesterday that Jack Pearson was staying at the same hotel as the friends. And when they bumped into each other in the lobby, he told her to send in her resume to the law firm since they had an opening.

He had obviously meant for her to send it once she got back to New York. But she'd called Phoebe in a frantic mess and begged the pregnant blonde to send her resume then and there. So, now, she was waiting anxiously to get a call from Phoebe once Phoebe got a call from Pearson and Associates Law Firm.

Joey looked at the tray the waiter was carrying with a frown. "What's in it?"

"Goat cheese, water chestnuts, and pancetta."

Joey's face scrunched up in disgust. "That's not food!" He cried, clearly very upset.

Veronica sighed and waved down another waiter with champagne to their table. "Just-just leave the tray. We save both of us a lot of time this way."

The waiter looked at her in shock before he slowly set the tray of champagne flutes down in front of her. Not long after, Chandler joined them and tried to grab one but she slapped his hand away with a growl.

Chandler jumped away from her and slowly patted her head. "Down, girl," He said slowly.

"Everything's different here," Joey complained to them sadly, "I want to go home. I-I miss my family. I miss the coffee house. I can't even remember what Phoebe looks like."

Chandler sighed. "Joey, it's been three days, okay. You're just a little homesick. Would you just try to relax? Y'know, try to enjoy yourself."

Joey stared at him in disbelief. "You're different here too. You're mean in England," He cried.

Veronica slapped Chandler's shoulder. "Don't be mean to Joey," She demanded pointedly.

Chandler rolled his eyes before he stood up to give his practice speech. "I'd like to toast, Ross and Emily. Of course, my big toast will be tomorrow at the wedding, so this is kind of my little toast or Melba toast, if you will," He got flustered when no one laughed and cleared his throat, "Okay. I have known Ross for a long time. In fact, I knew him when he was going out with his first girlfriend. And I thought things were going to work out for him. Until the day he overinflated her," He chuckled but frowned when again, no one laughed, "Oh, Dear God."