The Samsung Refrigerator Love Rectangle // DreamNotNap

Recently, SonaBuvelle534 's Discord server hosted a terrible-fanfiction-writing competition among the users. My submission was based on a nonsensical dream I experienced a few weeks ago. I thought it was hilarious, and tried to capture the "magic" in this story. Please enjoy!

***

[2208 words]

~real life: the announcement~

"Guys, I have an important announcement!" Leaning back in his chair, George raised his eyebrows at his computer screen, addressing livestream viewers in front of a still Minecraft background. As the livestream chat spammed curious questions in capital letters, the popular streamer leaned forward again and drummed his hands upon the desk out of the camera's view.

"I am holding a competition." Accentuating the proclamation, George pursed his lips in a tight smile toward the camera as if he expected the gasps and applause of a live audience. However, in the quiet of his stream, only the near-silent beats of Dream's song "Roadtrip" played in the background.

"Now, what is this competition, you might ask?" Monitoring the chat's excited buzzing, George deliberately drew out the announcement, savoring every moment of frustrating suspense he created. Slowly a smirk spread across his face, whose wavering edges hinted at the nervousness beneath his smug front.

"Oh my god, George." Dream's huff resonated through Discord. Presumably he rolled his eyes. "Just tell them what you're doing."

"Alright, fine, here we go." With Dream's encouragement, George reluctantly surrendered. Bouncing slightly with enthusiasm, he revealed, "I've decided to hold a fanfiction-writing competition."

As the livestream chat spammed shocked exclamations, George giggled self-consciously as he explained, "Listen, Dream already has his community phone number and millions of accounts on social media -"

"I do not have millions of social media accounts," Dream interjected with audible exasperation.

Pausing only momentarily for his friend, George finished, "- and I figured I needed to do a thing, too, so this is it. We're going to have a fanfiction-writing competition, everyone." Raising one finger, he noted purposefully, "I do have a catch, though. All fanfiction submissions must be inspired by an image I choose."

By the announcement's completion, the reason for the livestreamer's simultaneous excitement and anxiety became clear: in the formal, written declaration of the competition he spread upon his social media platforms, George promised he would read the winning fanfiction aloud on stream. Fanfictions could only include George, Dream, and Sapnap as its characters, for arranging a larger cast would cause additional stress George did not want to deal with.

As for the image which fanfictions were required to use for inspiration, the photograph was mundane, yet slightly confusing, similar to George himself. The image portrayed a massive storage warehouse whose expanses of wire shelves were full of a baffling amalgamation of items, including furniture, groceries, and technological supplies.

The fanfiction-writing competition deadline occurred exactly fourteen days - two weeks - after its announcement on George's livestream. During that two weeks, the writing competition dominated the fandom's attention. Even fans of other Minecraft Youtubers besides the Dream Team submitted short stories to the special dropbox that George himself coded upon a single, massive Google Classroom server.

At the end of the two weeks, the fanfiction with the most votes upon the Google Classroom server revealed itself, amassing an incredible following. The story, titled, "The Samsung Refrigerator Love Rectangle" by an anonymous user, was the document George, Dream, and Sapnap pulled up on their monitors for the fanfiction reading event.