- fifty four -

Draco Malfoy

"That's— fucking crazy—" Blaise shook his head and took another sip of the firewhiskey I'd poured him.

With Aria's permission, I'd spent the past thirty minutes explaining to Blaise and Theo what had happened when we were separated.

I'd apparated the two of us back to the Parkinson's home as soon as possible, not even bothering to find the others. After checking on Aria, I left her in the bedroom for some time to herself.

Everyone showed up less than an hour later, hands full of shopping bags and jolly expressions on their faces. Of course their positive mindsets were rather ruined when I filled them in on the past hour's events, and neither Blaise or Theo could believe what I was telling them.

"That sure is strange mate... showing up in a bookstore after all these years," Theo shook his head and poured himself another glass. "Is she alright?"

"I don't know..." I stared down at my own almost empty glass, watching the caramel-colored liquid swirl around as I turned the cup in a circle on the counter. "...I think she just needs a bit of time, you know? It'll take a while to get over something like that."

They both nodded and downed the rest of their drinks.

•••

Aria Rowen

"I— I just can't believe that they'd even do that," I laid on mine and Draco's bed, my head against Dylan's chest as her arms embraced me, just like how we would comfort each other when we were little kids.

"I know... you're too good for them. They obviously didn't know what they were missing out on," Her hand brushed along my back as she held me closer.

She was the only person who I wanted to be with me right now. Dylan was my first ever best friend— even before Jenna and Indy. We'd clicked in first year... a Slytherin and Hufflepuff... friends ever since we met on the Hogwarts Express.

-

"Oh— I'm sorry, did you want to be alone?" The dark, curly-haired girl peeked in at me through the compartment door.

"Uh, no, you can sit in here if you'd like."

"You mean you're not waiting for anyone?"

I shook my head and pulled my trunk closer to me, allowing her room to enter and take the seat opposite from me. "No. I'm a first year so I haven't exactly made any friends yet," I gave a weak smile and looked down at the ground.

"Really? Me too!" The girl laughed and I smiled in return. "What's your name?"

"Aria... Aria Rowen."

"I'm Dylan. Nice to meet you," The girl smiled and extended her hand, which I gladly shook.

-

"Can you even imagine where we'd be now if we didn't meet?"

I gave a small smile through my tears as I looked up at her. She'd been with me since the beginning... always here to calm me down and comfort me when I needed it the most.

"I love you, Aria... thank you for being my best friend," Dylan's voice grew shaky, even though she was rarely one to get emotional.

I nodded and gave her arm a firm squeeze. "I love you too..."

•••

Two days later...

"Aria, you need to eat. You can't just stay in here all day and starve yourself—"