22. Your Ex's Basement

Fifth Year:

"We're just... preparing better pranks. By kissing." I tried to explain.

We were sitting around the table, while the others were still downstairs watching movie.

"So you are telling me that, when you kiss, you can do better pranks?" He asked.

"Exactly." James said.

He threw his hands to the air. "But that doesn't make any sense!"

"Shhh! Albus! Stop shouting!" I whisper yelled.

"It doesn't have to make sense for you," James continued. "It's not going to continue anyways. After New Year Party, we will stop."

He looked at us with suspicious eyes, and then suddenly, he was on his feet again. "I have to tell Luna."

"No!" I grabbed his arm and made him sit down again.

"If you tell anyone about this, I'm telling mom that you were the one who broke great grandpa's ash vase!" James threatened.

"Okay, I won't. And stop unpacking that! It's been three years!"

"Your great grandpa's ash- you know what? Never mind. Forget that I even asked."

Both of them nodded and we got back up with the door bell.

"I'll get it." I said and left the room.

*****

I turned back to the living room with three bags of food.

"Food is here."

Teddy's head shot up. "Ugh, I'm starving!" He quickly got up and the others followed us behind.

When we came to the dining room, James and Albus was already sitting and waiting for us.

"Oh, man. How are we suppose to eat with these wooden things?" Fred asked, sitting next to me.

"That's the fun part." I answered.

Everyone settled down, Teddy and I opened the bags and served.

I showed them how to hold chapsticks and everyone did pretty good. Well, except for Rose, Fred and James. They struggled a lot, and it was really fun for us to watch.

"I give up." Rose got up from her chair. "I'm going to get fork, anyone else?"

"Bring me one too." Fred said and Rose nodded before leaving.

"Okay, okay. One... last... try..." We all watched James as he tried to hold the chopsticks but ended up dropping them again.

"For Godric's sake, Lily! It's like you actually want me to starve to death!" He yelled from across the table.

"No one said you can't get a fork." Luna said with a calm voice. "You're doing this to yourself."

Roxanne was sitting next to Luna. "Uh uh uh." She closed Luna's mouth with her hand.

Luna tried to talk but Roxanne didn't move her hand.

"I'm sorry cousin. But it's a well known fact that, if these two are arguing, no one can interrupt. Let them argue."

Luna removed Roxanne's hand. "And why is that?"

"Because," Fred continued. "It's for your own good. Trust me, you don't want to find yourself in the middle of their fight."

I rolled my eyes and continued eating my noodles.

We are clearly not that bad.

Rose came back with two forks and gave one to Fred before sitting down.

We did a few Quidditch, Christmas, and homework talk before Albus decided to act awkward.

"Oh, look at you two." He pointed the end of his fork to me, and then to James.

Fred, Teddy and James were planning their new prank so they weren't paying any attention to Albus.

"James, and Lily." He continued. "The definition of love..."

I choke on my noodle and kept my head down. I could feel the weird looks towards Albus. Fred wasn't talking anymore and everyone went silent.

"Albus, are you okay?" I heard Luna ask. "Did you eat something wrong?"

"I'm perfectly fine, Luna."

I heard Fred laugh next to me. "You are acting weird."

"Lily?" he ignored the comment.

I took a sip from my water and ignored the people staring at me before I answered. "Mhm?"

"Are you currently single?"

"Uhm," I looked around the table. "Yeah. Why did you... why did you ask?"

"Oh really?" He acted all surprised. "Why not?"

"Hey, Albus." James got up from his chair and walked towards Albus. "Can I talk to you, for a second?"

They left the dining room, which meant all the staring will be towards me, now.

Great.

"So..." I chuckled awkwardly. "How's food? Did you like it?"

*****

"I can't believe they won't make it to Christmas." Roxanne groaned, her head on my lap.

We finished eating and tidied the table. Some of us went off to the garden while the others stayed inside.

Roxanne and I were alone in the garden, under my treehouse.

"I know, it sucks." I played with her hair as she continued.

"Christmas with out parents? Then what the point of-"

I didn't hear from that for three days. I miss him. I miss mom, too. I wish they told us what was wrong, maybe we could help. Hpw did they manage to keep this big problem from the news?

"What about presents? All the money we spent? It's totally unfair that-"

I wonder what James told Albus when they left the table earlier. Probably just warned him...

"But I'm sure next year will be better. Since Quidditch-"

Why do I keep kissing James? Why does he keep kissing me? I mean, we don't like each other. Maybe because we hate each other too much. So it backfired.

Does that even make sense?

No...

"Well, actually, Professor Longbottom told me that this new year's lessons will be different than the-"

No more kissing. Yes, that's right. We are meant to hate each other, prank each other, hit each other, try to kill each other. Not kiss each other. That's just weird.

But it's over now, this 'doesn't count' bullshit has to stop.

"What do you think?"

"About what?" I asked, snapping out of my thoughts.

"I was talking about Albus and his weird actions."

"Mhm," I nodded my head nervously.

"He is right tho. You have to find someone. It's been, what, seven months since the last time you dated someone?"

"Okay, ouch."

"Well, I'm sorry! But you need a man in your life!"

"I don't need any men to survive, thank you very much."

Roxanne rolled her eyes. "You know what I mean. Everyone will find someone and you will be stuck with twelve cats living in your ex's basement."

"That... got dark really fast."