13

Chapter Thirteen
Wither into the Truth

Luella had a day off. She had woken up to an ache in her thighs and shoulders from the days before training which she tried to ignore.

She hung the clothes that she wore yesterday back in her cupboard, they could last another wear before washing. Today she wore loose shorts and a jacket made of a comforting material for an unproductive day.

She let her black shirt lay untucked as she closed the door to her room, checking the main clock at the back of the room. 8:39 am. There were twenty-one minutes left of breakfast left before the cafeteria would be shut until lunch.

"Morning Lue," Terra greeted, standing up from their seat on the couch, in a skilled homemade dress and green cardigan. "I figured I'd wait for you, so you know, no lonely suite."

Luella smiled at the loving earth fairy in appreciation, off to a nice start. "Thanks," she replied. "Often a light sleeper." She grabbed her book from the wooden counter she had left it on, holding it to the side with one hand as the two girls left the suite.

The last flickers of the horizon shone upon the girls with grace making them squint in the chilly air as they walked down the cobbled path. The morning was always Luella's favourite— the breeze and light made Luella feel like a flower being reborn.

But it felt dim again as they entered the cafeteria. Only small crowds still lingered chattering until they grew boredom.

Luella spotted Aisha, Bloom and Musa at a table fiddling with the remains of their food with a fork. She looked back over to Terra as they grabbed one of the last few trays, sliding it across the table and picking their breakfast.

"Do you have practice today?" Luella asked, starting a conversation, trying not to drop her book while she carried the tray of buttered toast and fruits.

Terra swallowed the strawberry she plucked into her mouth before replying. "No, not today. Though I was enjoying it. I don't think any of the girls do."

Luella nodded in return as they approached the table with their friends, all greeting each other. Luella took a free seat on the side of Bloom and Musa as Terra sided with Aisha.

Bloom was on her phone, tilting it to her subconsciously, her eyes glued as her fingers pressed quickly against the screen, her food pushed aside.

Musa had a grey hooded jacket with three coloured stripes near the shoulders. Her headphones lay wrapped around her neck as faded music played when only you were close you could hear.

She was talking with Aisha, who looked energised compared to the rest girls. Her hair was damp but still in braids, probably from an early morning swim; Luella still hadn't figured out where.

Then Bloom proceeds to stand up, shoving her phone into her pocket and picking up her tray. She wore the same clothes Luella had seen her yesterday in: a red leather jacket matched with a black jumper. Maybe she just hadn't bothered to change. "I've got to go, see you back at the suite," Bloom rushed, rambling away from the cafeteria as Musa and Luella filled the seat gap.

"Somethings going on with Bloom," said Luella before taking a bite of her toast.

Aisha crossed her arms on the table and leaned in, "we'll find out today in our spare time."

"How about Dane?" Terra brought up. "If Bloom been texting him constantly, he has to know what she's doing."

"How are we gonna get it out of him?" Musa questioned.