20. {the consequence}

⚠️ trigger warning for this chapter !!

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

after miguel had talked to his mother and grandmother, he escorted gioia over to her parents.

"guys." bianca pulled her daughter and her best friend into a hug, "you two did great, congrats miguel."

"thank you, bianca." miguel nodded at the lady politely.

"thanks mamma."

the diaz boy turned to fredrico and put his hand out, "miguel."

"this is gioia's best friend." bianca explained.

fredrico nodded and shook the boy's hand, "fred, nice to meet you." although being from italy like the rest of his small family, the man had a more faint accent.

"you too."

the man turned to his daughter who had been gazing around the room, looking anywhere but at him.

"hey kid, you did amazingly." he complimented her.

gioia sighed with her eyes on the ground, "thank you."

"my parole officer let me come." fredrico motioned to the burly man stood a few feet behind him.

"cool." miguel grinned, "that was nice of him."

"yeah... although, i had to do a lot to get here." fredrico chuckled nervously.

"your father has one week of time and then a few more weeks of community service before he is a free man." bianca explained gently.

gioia nodded, "okay."

"your mamma invited me to stay with you guys - we can be a family again, yeah?" fredrico quizzed.

"fred..." bianca smacked his arm, he wasn't suppose to just say the statement out of no where, they had a plan. but fredrico was getting nervous around his daughter and couldn't help himself.

gioia stared at the man, her eyes fluttering and her head becoming dizzy. the girl groaned out as her eyes rolled to the back of her head and she fell unconscious into miguel's arms.

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

that night, miguel stood with his mother, outside gioia's hospital room. as they talked, he would peek inside to see what his friend was up to - she was watching a teen drama show on the television.

"miggy, her body is lacking the proper minerals and vitamins it needs to heal her." carmen explained to her son.

"i don't understand." miguel muttered while running his hands through his hair in anxiety.

"to be vague... she hasn't been eating properly." carmen said quietly, "has she been eating at all?"

miguel's face scrunched up and it was easy to tell he was confused. he thought for a moment and shook his head.