part two

**This chapter is inspired by the song If I Could Tell Her by Dear Evan Hansen!

There was a strange feeling that accompanied Taehyung as he walked up the steps of the front porch of the Jeon house. It was a brick bungalow style home, as were most of the homes in this part of town; incredibly unordinary in every way except for the fact that stuck out like a sore thumb. Everyone in the neighborhood knew what had happened to the Jeon family, of course – how the family of four had become a family of three.

Shoulders sinking with the feeling of his own melancholy, Taehyung brought his fist up, rapping his knuckles against the familiar wooden door thrice. He wasn't sure if anyone was home, Mr. Jeon's old Chevy not out on the driveway like it used to be. Man, he hoped he hadn't gotten rid of that car.

The sound of the front door unlocking caused Taehyung to straighten up, eyes widening as your head poked out from behind it. Your hair was in loose curls today, thrown over your shoulders as a pretty suede headband framed the crown of your head.

A wave of nostalgia rolled over at him as you grinned and opened the door wider, urging him inside.

How many times had he seen you open this same door as he swung by after school, flashing him a toothy smile before turning back into the house to yell out:

"Hey, shrimp brain! Blondie's here!"

But of course, that was then and this was now. Taehyung's high school days were over and his best friend was dead. And standing on the faded shag carpet of the Jeon home, he couldn't help but feel as if he was entering the house for the first time.

"You came." You mused, shutting the door behind you.

Taehyung nodded, letting his eyes roll over the home, "Of course. I said I would, didn't I?"

You didn't bother to answer the rhetorical question, watching instead as your brother's best friend took in the state of your childhood home.

The furniture had been rearranged, he noted. Not a single piece was new but the layout was changed entirely as if in a hurried attempt for the house to start anew.

Taehyung let his eyes fall onto the worn-out living room couch. He still remembered the day the unsightly thing first arrived. It was an awful shade of green, a messy floral pattern gracing itself across the cushions. Mrs. Jeon had claimed enthusiastically that the new sofa would give the house character, all the while Mr. Jeon sulked in the kitchen, silently displeased by his wife's purchase but far too good of a husband to tell her so.

Sunday nights were usually spent on that couch. Taehyung's parents didn't care much for sports and so the entire Jeon family, including Taehyung, would often sit and watch football— though that happened less and less as Jungkook got older and his relationship with his family strained.

"My parents aren't home." You spoke suddenly, pulling Taehyung from his memories.

"Oh shit," Taehyung's brow furrowed, "I'm sorry, I should've called first."

You waved a hand in the air dismissively, "No worries, they just ran out to buy some groceries. They'll be home in 15 minutes. Maybe less."

Taehyung nodded, eyes flickering behind you as he noticed the crocheted owl that hung on the wall beside the door. At least that hadn't been moved.

"Do you mind if I use the bathroom?" Taehyung spoke suddenly. If he was going to be spending 15 minutes alone with you, then he at least wanted to clean up a little, make sure he didn't have any food in his teeth or something of that unfortunate nature.

Tucking your hands into your back pockets, you nodded.

"Is it still down the hallway across your room?" Taehyung asked out of courtesy. You laughed.