Goodbye Sissy

Steve and I were back at the Avengers Compound. The place we now called home. Steve was on the computer watching the newest news report on what happened in Lagos. I watched from afar with my cup of coffee in hand.
I couldn't stand what they were saying already. They blamed Wanda for the attack which was just outrageous! If she hadn't done what she did Captain America would be dead.

My husband would be dead.

I owed Wanda a great deal. Yes people were severely injured but it would have been a lot worse.

"Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria, last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred." The news anchor spoke before the scene cut to King T'Chaka.
"Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil. Not only because of the actions of criminals, but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent, is no victory at all."
"The Wakanda king went on to . . ." I stepped forward and leaned over Steve clicking off the video.

He looked up to me and sighed leaning back in his chair. I placed my mug down and rubbed his shoulders making him sigh in content.

However, the noise of the news channel still playing filled my ears. I stopped attending to Steve making him pay attention to the noise too. I sighed as I looked in the direction of Wanda's room.

"I'll go talk to her." I tell him.
He nods and leans up to press a kiss to my lips before I walk off.

I stand in Wanda's doorway as I see her perched on her bed watching the news intently.
"They are operating outside and above the international law. Because that's the reality, if we don't respond to acts like these. What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeri -"

I had simply enough and took the remote from the table by the door and switched her TV off. I set it back down and lean on the door frame as Wanda briefly looks at me.
"It's my fault." She stated bluntly.
"That's not true." I tell her sternly.
"Turn the TV back on. They're being very specific." She says monotonous.

"If it wasn't for you many more people would be dead right now."
I walk forward and sit on her bed next to her.
"Yes you lost control but you used your powers to your full capacity moments before to get rid of that gas. That was your mission and you did it perfectly. Then instead of going back to the jet you played your part as a team member and checked on all of us. Without you Steve would be dead and I would internally be too. This won't happen again Wanda, I'll make sure of it. You are not a monster. People are angry and with that they make rash decisions and look for someone to blame. Trust me, I know. It gets better I promise."

She leans into me and I wrap my arms protectively around her as I stroke through her curls.
"This job . . . we try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that, next time . . . maybe nobody gets saved." I tell her softly.

Just then Vision materializes through the wall. It startled the both of us as Wanda sits up again.
"Vis! We talked about this." She said making me chuckle at the pair.
"Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that . . ." Vision wandered off awkwardly.

"Mrs Rogers wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving." Vision spoke sweetly to me making me smile.
"Thank you. We'll be right down. And Vis call me Ali." I tell him again for the hundredth time.
"Certainly Ali. I'll . . . use the door. Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest." Vision replies walking to the door.

"We know who it is?" I ask.
"The Secretary of State."

Wanda gives me a scared look but I bring her back into my embrace and assure her nothing will happen.