37| The Beginning after the End

~Unedited

• • •

Ameena stared at her reflection in the mirror, water dripping down her face in long rivulets, some going past her chin to slide down her neck before disappearing underneath her collar.

Ameena blinked, turning her head side to side, then she tried to smile. It was the smile she had been using for so long. A practiced, polite smile that carried nothing but the best of intentions. One would have to be very keen to notice how it didn't quite reach her eyes.

The water dripped past her long eyelashes and into her eyes making her them go blurry for a second. Ameena closed her eyes to blink out the water, hands finally deciding to grab onto the hand towel she had carried with her, hanging over her shoulder.

She pulled it off, wiping away the water on her face and neck, also wiping away the sweat that was on her nape.

She looked into the mirror again. Pursing her lips.

She put on that signature smile on her face, and pushed away from the expensive looking sink. Pure white ceramic with faucets that shone in the bright white light.

Ameena straightened down her pencil skirt and her button down shirt underneath her vest. Gathering her long braids inside her hands and shoving them back over her shoulder. She made sure to retrieve her tiny case of lip gloss from her vest pocket to dab a little on her lips.

Smiling anew, she pocketed it before walking out of the bathroom. Her heels clicking loudly on the tiles.

Ameena walked until she left the restroom area and back into the working area where about five cubicles filled the wide room, each having a large space with only one person working in each, separated by only a metal sheet that was high enough that the person inside could sit and work without disturbances but low enough that someone, say...a supervisor for example could easily peek over them.

Ameena walked through the walkway area between each cubicle avoiding the eyes that watched her from every inhabited corner, until she spotted the door for her area. She pushed it open and went inside, shutting it behind her. Settling down on the plush black chair that felt a lot more comfortable than it looked.

Her office wasn't like the other cubicles, it had no areas to peek over and everyone had to knock. Even the supervisor themselves had to knock. She was working on the same rank as those people outside in their low fenced cubicles but at the same time she wasn't.

This was because her parents owned the place...this place and many many others.

How long had it been?

Her eyes found the standing calendar on her desk. Time had flew by so fast. This was already going to be her seventh month working here.

He pursed her lips. How depressing.

She had to be content, happy with her decision. It was too late to go back on it now.

At least...to her, it felt as if it was too late.

Ameena ran a hand down the side of her face, rubbing her tired eyes. She had no time to regret anything.

It was her legs that had walked away.

It was also her hands that had picked up the phone to make contact with her parents after so long, even after running away from them, their wealth and their controlling tirades. It was her that chose to ditch her monotonous server life and dive headfirst into this one. Picking up the phone and dialing that number she didnt know she'd end up using.