Chapter 37

Knox’s POV

Rafe was hanging on by a thread…he wanted his mate…needed his mate.

Sophia disappeared only a few minutes ago, but it seemed like eternity.   When the bond between two mates, the pain is excruciating.   I tore around the office destroying anything in my path.   Even though Raine told me that Sophia was fine, I could not sense her, she was gone from my mind.   That alone sent me on a rampage.

Vlad stood off to the side protectively in front of Raine.   She was trying to calm me down, but nothing was working.   I wanted me mate and I wanted her now.   Frustrated I chucked the chair through the window.

“Okay my love that is enough.   I was only gone for a few minutes, no need to destroy the office.”

Turning around, there stood my mate.   Completely unharmed.  Jumping over the desk I reached for her, encompassing her in my arms and inhaling her scent.   Rafe calmed down immediately as our bond reconnected. 

“Baby, don’t you EVER do that to me again.  I was going ballistic not being able to feel you.   I never want to experience that again, promise me you will never leave me.”

“I am sorry Knox, truly I am.   But it wasn’t like I had a choice in the matter.   I think when the fates summons you, you really don’t have a choice to but to listen.”

Raine stepped out of the shadows, around Vlad.   “The fates.   Of Course.   That makes perfect sense now.”

My mate stepped back from me, but growling she stayed in my arms just turning around so she could face the others.   My arms wounded around her stomach pulling her back into me.   Having her there calmed me and my wolf immensely.   This whole situation was testing my patience.  

“Explain.   Are the fates known for kidnapping people?   And why the hell did they cut off my connection to Sophia?”

“Alpha, I have never known anyone who has had the privilege of meeting with the fates.   Of course there are stories that are told over time, but nothing proven.   There are several consistencies though.   First all connection to this world is temporarily frozen, that way no one is able to track the location of the fates.   Since the beginning of time they have successfully remained hidden for that reason alone. 

The second is I felt no stress or danger, otherwise I would have followed her.   Fairies possess a gift given by the fates that allow us to always have an unbreakable link with our royals that is why I could feel her.   No magic can break our link, not even the fates themselves.   I just didn’t think about that so I am sorry for failing you Alpha.   I should have known.”

The fairy bowed in front of us begging my forgiveness.   On one hand I was extremely pissed that this small woman shared a bond stronger than mine to my OWN mate, but on the other hand it was very reassuring that Sophia could always depend on her.   Being the possessive Alpha that I am, I was still fuming from their special bond, call me petty but it still hurt.