Chapter 79 - Sentiment

Loki's cool fingertips leave behind streaks of fire on your cheek. You find yourself unable to speak, so you squeeze your eyes shut - afraid that you're misunderstanding.

Until you hear him speak once more.

"Elskede?"

Letting out a sob, you open your eyes to look down into Loki's emerald gaze. 

His name leaves your lips, barely a whisper, when suddenly you feel his fingers in your hair, and he pulls your lips to his in beautiful desperation. You laugh and sob at the same time against his kiss as every fear and worry you have been holding for the past weeks melts away.

"My Valkyrie," he sighs, pulling his lips from yours as he strains to sit up, clearly still dizzy and in pain. 

"Pater!" screams Anthony from Herkja's arms.

You watch Loki's eyes widen as the color drains from his face. Scrambling to his feet, Loki leaves you kneeling in the dirt only for a moment as he races to Herkja, taking Anthony from her arms before coming back to you, and pulling you both in tightly to his chest. 

"Vennen mín. Ástin mín," he says, his voice breaking as you feel his lips pressed firmly against your forehead. After a moment, Loki pulls his lips away and places his forehead on yours as he cradles Anthony to his chest.

"You fought for me," he says in a tone of disbelief. 

"Every day," you answer through silent tears.

Loki lets out a shuddering sob and wraps his free arm around your waist, pulling you tightly to his side as he buries his face in your neck, allowing several shaky sobs to escape while tears run down his face.

"I'm so sorry, kærasta," he cries quietly into your ear, placing kisses on your neck. 

Suddenly a bright flash from the cave and Thor's terrorized screams cause you and Loki to look at each other in fear. 

Loki stands and rushes back to Herkja, handing Anthony to her and kissing her cheek in thanks. In a flash, Loki is back at your side. 

"Go. Hide. I'll find you when this is done," he says determinedly. 

"Absolutely not," you hiss, taking his hand and lacing your fingers through his. "We're partners, remember? We do this together."

"Your son needs you," Loki says, glancing once more to the cave as another agonizing scream from Thor rings out from the entrance.

Loki begins to stand, but you tighten your grip on his hand and pull him back down.

"I'm not leaving you," you say firmly as you look to Herkja and nod. In a haze of purple she disappears with Anthony, leaving you and Loki outside the cave.