Chapter 10

I quickly fell into a routine. I never left my room and I never talked to anyone. The isolation would drive most people mad, but I was used to being alone. During the day I would practice summoning items. Sometimes I'd summon a book and read that to occupy my time. The staff, a girl who had introduced herself as Callie, would bring me food three times a day. With all the solitude, I felt like I was back at my cottage.

This routine went on for almost a week. I stayed away from the king and the prince and they stayed away from me. Everyone was happy and content... Or at least that's what I thought. It took until the king broke down my door for me to realize that not everyone liked the arrangement.

"You!" The king grumbled and pointed to me, "Talk. Now."

"Can't we do this later?" I questioned him as I went back to my book. He was so fast to slap my book down that I didn't even have time to process the noise from his movements.

"Hey!" I yelled, "You made me lose my place!"

"You said we'd talk eventually, well now is eventually," he told me.

I picked up my fallen book and tried to find the page I had been reading. The king picked up the book again and threw it against the wall. "What is your problem?" I yelled at him.

"My problem is that my beloved has been in my castle for almost a week and I've only talked to her three times!" He yelled back.

I felt a bit bad, but I was still pissed about the book. "Sounds like your problem," I told him.

I got off of my bed and walked over to the book. I picked it up and could feel the king's eyes on me the entire time. Once the book was in my hands I could feel it suddenly get extremely hot. I dropped it just in time to see it burst into flames.

Within seconds the book was nothing but ashes. I looked up at the king and glared. "You just won't leave me alone... Will you?" I questioned a bit angrily.

"No, and you shouldn't want me to," he reprimanded me.

I walked till I was right in front of him then I crossed my arms. We glared at each other. My jade eyes challenging his amber ones. After what seemed like hours, his eyes flickered away and landed on my arms.

"Your arm seems to have healed incredibly well," he uttered.

I gave him a smile and said, "I heal fast."

"So we are going to avoid the fact that we both know that you're not a human?" He questioned.

"Yeah, pretty much," I answered with a nod.

He shifted and crossed his arms then said, "You know my brother went to check up on you a few days ago. He's been acting strange since then. He's acting almost scared. What did you do to him?"

"What?" I exclaimed shocked and put my hand on my chest, "Me? Do something to scare the prince? I can't imagine."

He let his arms fall then leaned in close to my face. A small smile graced his face and I felt an old lost feeling emerge in my chest. His teeth were perfect and extraordinarily white. It made his face seem less harsh and made him impossibly more attractive. "You pulled a knife on me. I'm a king, love. I believe with all my heart that you can easily scare my brother," he told me.

I dropped my hand from my chest and stopped acting like I didn't know what he was talking about. "He threatened me in a way. So I handled it," I told the king.

"How did you get him to listen to you? He's a high-ranking dragon. Not many can threaten him and back it up," my husband asked me with barely noticeable amusement.