Chapter 40: Giving His Heart A Break

CHAPTER 40:

His fingers clench together, tightening his already perfectly closed fists that are raised defensively in front of his chin. This strange expression resembling a unique form of pain briefly flashes across his facial features, scrunching his nose and turning the inner 'corners' of his eyebrows inward toward one another while his lips curve downward. A grimace of sorts.

The way his fingertips slide across his palms as they unravel from their curled position reminds me of ice cubes melting on a tabletop. So fluidly. So easily. And the ease flows through the rest of his body, dripping the loosening off tense muscles into every fiber of his muscle memory. Hesitation to fully trust her and  let his guard down displays in the tight togetherness his lips press into as the corners of them turn only slightly upward. It's a start. Especially in consideration of her that we ask assumed she'd make good on following his choice to do better.

Seeing his binary brother set down his 'weapons' in good faith, Demetri slides his arms back down to his sides and pockets his right hand. His left arm slings around Eli's shoulders in celebration of pride. Perhaps for Eli not initiating a fight. Perhaps Dem had seen the earlier struggle and was proud Eli had  fought a possible natural to rekindle his position with Kreese. Any reason, his singular arm tugs my boyfriend closer to his side and a small grin protrudes on his lips.

Miguel's eyes drift to his friends who have let this whole fight thing go and he waivers until his eyes return to his firmly stood girlfriend who looks like a stone statue. Sam glowers at Tory and her fists tighten. They raise closer to her face and a snarl adorns her lips. There's light and dark battling in her eyes. She's dancing with her own devil. "So she gets away Scott free again?" It's a voice cracked grumble from her relit flame off seeking vengeance for what Tory had done to her.

"I am paying for what I've done." I can't hear the shake in her words and I know she's on the verge of losing her cool.

Sam's left leg steps forward, inching her body ever so slightly closer to that of her very still blonde counterpart. "Are you? Because last time I checked, you assaulted me and got away easily."

"And what about you princess?" Tory doesn't make any physical moves, instead choosing to inflict pain with her shadowed amusement displayed in her words. "If you think about it. Actually think about it and get off your high horse- you started most of this." Sam's pigment drains from every inch of her face, yet the glower darkens. "You just couldn't tell your daddy that you were dating a good guy from Cobra Kai. So then you got closer to Robby and ditched Miguel, only to reverse the roles later on because you give up when things get hard. You've never had a hard day in your life."

Sam hollers at Tory to shut up, tears welling in her eyes and threatening to roll down. Tory doesn't even bat an eye. "Hey! That's not fair-"

"Miguel, back down!" I warn, noting the way he fixates his posture into offensive at the verbal attack Tory is laying upon Sam.

His eyes move to me in disbelief and he scoffs. "You're taking Tory's side? The girl who beat you up?"

"No. Right now, I'm on the side of facing up to the things we did wrong." Miguel stumbles back like I've hit him square in the chest while Sam releases a sob. "Sam is a good person. And so is Tory." I gesture between the two as their babes fall from my lips. "But honestly Sam's never been held accountable for the things she did wrong like you hold Tory accountable. And in order for these two to let their hatred begin to sizzle out, they need to tell each other what they did wrong instead of using their fists. It'll never end doing it that way- as we've seen." My hand swings in Tory's direction and gesture for her to continue.

Tory doesn't hesitate one second. "I'm bitter about you. Because you only ever want more instead of accepting what you have and keeping that be something great." Sam parts her lips, prepared to argue when Tory continues, "You were mad about Aisha being my friend and instead of admitting it or getting to know me, you blamed me for taking your mom's wallet. You hoped it would make her stop being my friend. You never even apologized. And to top it all off, you acted like the innocent victim when I defended myself and you fell onto the food table. Then when I'm finally happy and Miguel has moved on from you, you destroy it by kissing him while you still have a boyfriend."