91.

Song of the Chapter: As the World Caves In by Matt Maltese

Draco's POV

          "Did you do it?" I ask while catching my breath. "Did you destroy the crown?"

      Aary and Blaise struggle to respond but nod their heads. Seconds after I meet up with them, I see Weasley and Granger making their way to us. Their expressions let me know that they were successful as well.

               "That's it then, yeah?" Blaise states. "We destroyed them all."

      Granger and Weasley stare down at their feet, trying to hide the truth.

                            "What is it?" I ask them.

          "Harry," Granger mutters. "He's a horcrux. He went into the forest to-"

                        "To die?!" Aary cuts her off. "No, there's no way-"

           "It's true," Weasley says. "He's always had these visions and at first we didn't realize what connected him to Voldemort but now..."

                           "Visions?" Blaise questions.

        The two of them nod. I run my fingers through my hair and try to catch my breath. Potter and I have always hated each other but he shouldn't have to die because of this. He gave himself up so easily, like the hero he is. I can't imagine doing the same.

           "So what now? We just sit around and wait for Voldemort to die?" Blaise scoffs.

        Weasley opens his mouth to respond, but commotion coming from behind us interrupts. We all turn to see the students, who were once running chaotically, now walking in a group to the courtyard.

                 "Follow the crowd?" Aary suggests.

       Blaise grabs her hand and they take the lead. In a line, we all make our way to the exit of the school. At first the only thing I can see is the tops of student's heads. It's not until I make my way to the front row that I see the group of Death Eaters approaching Hogwarts.

              I nudge Blaise's arm. "Do you see her? Do you see Mal?"

       He takes a moment to respond but eventually I get a subtle nod. I feel relief fly through my body as he does so. Once I pull back Aary's hair slightly I see her too, Malory's with them. She looks defeated and in pain, but she's alive.

         But Harry on the other hand-

              "Harry Potter is dead!" Voldemort shouts!

     If he's dead and we destroyed all of the horcruxes, why is The Dark Lord still standing?

      The Death Eaters begin cheering and shouting with joy, almost as if all of their dreams have come true. I spot my parents directly across from me and feel a pinch at my heart. As badly as I want to hug my mum right now, I refuse to go over there.

                   "No, please!" Ginny Weasley cries.

      She races towards Harry but they immediately start casting spells her way. Bright green flashes blind each of us.

                    "Pathetic." One of the Death Eater's scoffs.

      I keep my focus on Malory and wait patiently for her to look at me, but she never does. Her focus stays on the destruction behind me. It's clear that she's not actually looking at it, though. She's in deep thought, I can tell by the look in her eyes.

                       "Now, you will all kneel to me."

      Aary, Blaise and I exchange glances. I can tell they're asking themselves the same question; why is Voldemort still alive?

                   "That's the last thing we're going to do!"

      The voice is coming from the left of us, a student. I lean my head forward and see Longbottom making his way to the center of the courtyard. He's limping, barely able to walk. I don't see a wand in his hand, only the shredded sorting hat.

       Voldemort's face goes from happy to irritated but he let's Longbottom speak. Everyone holds their breath and closes their eyes in fear of seeing another student killed.

      The entire time he's talking I can't help but stare at Malory. It's not the time for it but I didn't think I'd see her ever again; she's beautiful. Even with dirt covering her face and blood running from her nose she looks like an angel sent from above.

       For a long time, I actually convinced myself of it. I told myself that someone sent her here to save me, bring me the peace I never thought I'd get. And that's exactly what she did. Now, it's my turn to save her.

         We're going to win this, Mal.

      I say those words in my head but I swear she hears me because instantly, she looks up. She doesn't expect me to be staring back at her so she tries to look away but it's impossible. There's not a single ray of sunshine in the sky but the second our eyes connect, I feel warmth.

                 "Are you alright?" I mouth to her.

       A single tear falls onto her right cheek as she nods her head with a smile. I exhale intensely after knowing that she's okay and wipe the sweat from my palms.

       After everything we've been through, the constant pain and torture I've watched her face, it's finally coming to an end. We may not be there in this very moment but soon-

            "Harry wouldn't want us to give up!" Longbottom shouts.

       Voldemort and his followers begin cackling loudly but they quickly stop when they see the boy starting to pull something from the hat. It takes everyone a minute to clearly see it but right when I spot the red jewel on top, I know.

            The Gryffindor Sword.

            "And now you're going to die!"

       Longbottom drops the hat and runs full speed at Voldemort with the sword in both hands. Right away it's clear to everyone that he's not going to succeed, but that's not his goal; he's being a distraction.

       Voldemort shoots The Cruciatus Curse at Longbottom, causing him to slam into the stone ground. The sword goes flying through the air and lands only feet away from Malory, nearly hitting her in the arm.

       I hear all of the student's gasp and assume it's because of the sword, but it's not. Aary pulls on my sleeve and directs my attention to Harry, who is now out of Hagrid's arms and on his feet.

                "Confringo!"

       A ball of fire shoots in the direction of Voldemort and the Death Eaters scream in fear. Once the smoke clears we all see that it didn't hit him but did in fact injure his side. He grips it aggressively but refuses to fall.

       I take my attention off of Harry and Voldemort and look to Malory, who is eyeing the sword on the ground. I don't know what she's planning on doing with it but I can only assume one thing; she's going to kill her father.

           "I'm going to kill you, Harry Potter!"